BuddyPress helps you build any kind of community website using WordPress, with member profiles, activity streams, user groups, messaging, and more. Follow the steps below to install the plugin:
- Go to X/Pro > Validation.
- Scroll down the page to find the BuddyPress, then click the Install button.
- Wait till the installation process is finished.
- After the installation is complete, click the Go Active button.
- You will be redirected to the plugins page which you can click the Activate link to activate the plugin.
- After the activation, you can go to X/pro > Validation menu and scroll down to see the plugin is installed.
How to Use BuddyPress in X or Pro
The BuddyPress consists of different components that you can enable and use depending on the specific need of the social platform that you want to create. Go to WordPress Dashboard > Settings > BuddyPress to select the components that you want to use. The following is a list of the components available in the plugin:
- Extended Profiles: Customize your community with fully editable profile fields that allow your users to describe themselves.
- Account Settings: Allow your users to modify their account and notification settings directly from within their profiles.
- Friend Connections: Let your users make connections so they can track the activity of others and focus on the people they care about the most.
- Private Messaging: Allow your users to talk to each other directly and in private. Not just limited to one-on-one discussions, messages can be sent between any number of members.
- Activity Streams: Global, personal, and group activity streams with threaded commenting, direct posting, favoriting, and @mentions, all with full RSS feed and email notification support.
- Notifications: Notify members of relevant activity with a toolbar bubble and/or via email, and allow them to customize their notification settings.
- User Groups: Groups allow your users to organize themselves into specific public, private or hidden sections with separate activity streams and member listings.
- Site Tracking: Record activity for new posts and comments from your site.
- BuddyPress Core: It‘s what makes time travel BuddyPress possible!
- Community Members: Everything in a BuddyPress community revolves around its members.
This article barely scratched the surface of the BuddyPress capabilities. If you are interested in learning the plugin features in more depth we suggest that you check the official documentation.
Now you know how to get up and running with the BuddyPress plugin and where to find more information to help you make full use of it.
See something inaccurate? Let us know