Important WP 6.2 Issue — Please Read Before Updating

We are investigating an infinite loop issue in WP 6.2. Please do not update until there is a solution in place.

12 Likes
Cornerstone plugin update is crashing site and main nav drop down issues
Serious / Critical Issues with Updating Pro Themes
MySQL 8 & Wordpress 6.2
All sites crashing when updating to latest wordpress
Theme causes over usage of resources
Website doesn't work anymore as soon as I activate X-Theme
Is it Safe to Update without Manually Editing Files Now?
WordPress Auto Update and Site Died x-theme
WP 6.2 Broke my theme & Site
Old version of X not loading
cURL error 7: Failed to connect to community.theme.co / port 443: Connection refused
Any new updates on WP 6.2 Issue?
X Theme can't update, despite taking steps outlined
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 805306368 bytes exhausted
“There has been a critical error on this website” - not bandwidth
Wordpress 6.2 Error
Post Scroll Slider Looper Freezing
I cant get cornerstone to launch
Validation Issue - Critical Error
Problem with Wordpress update and updating theme
Theme Update Crashing Sites
403 Forbidden Error was encountered
Website Critical Error
Accurate Instructions to Update Theme
Cornerstone stuck on loading screen Wordpress 6.2
Cornerstone Lagging Across Multiple Sites
Website has gone haywire!
Website has Critical Issue
WooCommerce Store Layout - Subcategory Display Formatting
Website crashed when theme is activated
LayerSlider is not showing up
Service Unavailable
Fatal error!
Site issue -- critical error
Cornerstone Editor not launching
Themeco Announcements / Notifications
FastCGI Errors with Latest Official X and Pro Themes and WP 6.2
Pro slider backward animation
Can't open Cornerstone anymore

We have identified the issue and will be pushing out a hotfix momentarily for X (10.1.10) and Pro (6.1.10). You can update to this version and it will fix the issue. If you are already on WordPress 6.2, remove the X/Pro folder, download a new copy in your dashboard, and then re-upload and change your theme back to X/Pro OR if you wish to manually fix the issue you can add return; to line 194 of framework/legacy/functions/plugins/cornerstone.php

35 Likes

If you are on an older version of X or Pro and looking to make the manual change, please follow these steps.

If you are on Pro 5 or X 9, the line to add return; to is 260.

If you are on Pro 3-4 or X 7-8, you will comment out wp_enqueue_script( 'mediaelement' ); which means you will change it to: // wp_enqueue_script( 'mediaelement' );

This file is in framework/functions/plugins/cornerstone.php as opposed to the legacy folder in other versions. These are lines 36 and 75 for both versions.

If you are on Pro 1-2. The guide is the same as Pro3-4, but the file is framework/functions/global/plugins/cornerstone.php

If you can’t access the site and need to make the change via FTP, please follow these steps.

• FTP Into your WordPress site.
  • Navigate on the FTP to your WordPress directory. This is usually in /var/www.
  • In the WordPress directory navigate to “wp-content/themes”
  • Remove the folder “pro” or “x” or rename it to something like “pro-old” or “x-old.”
  • WordPress will now be back up without a critical error, just not with the Pro or X theme.
  • Login to the WordPress dashboard.
  • Upload the latest version Pro 6.1.10+ or X 10.1.10+
  • Activate the theme and you will not have the critical message. Congrats you did it!

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What caused the issue?
A: WordPress made a core change in WordPress 6.2 that required a change to one part of a media Element. Other WordPress themes and plugins are also reporting issues, so it’s possible WordPress will have a point release that addresses this. We have already addressed this for X and Pro customers in the versions above.

Q: Is there a recovery mode?
A: Potentially, if your server has emailing setup. There is a recovery guide here.

Q: Will my child theme lose data?
A: Your child theme can be ignored throughout this whole process. When you re-upload or update the theme, your child theme will use the upgraded theme.

Q: Will I lose my data by deleting or moving the theme directory?
A: No, you will not. Your data is in the database which is not connected to the theme directory.

15 Likes