Archive & Post (Page) setup from layout

Hi,
I have just watched the two very nice layout videos from the youtube series. I am very much a beginner to both pro and WP. I am coming from dreamweaver.
So, I’ve created a couple layouts but I really can’t figure out how to get these to apply to specific pages. Are there some other video I am not finding that detail how to implement these layouts once you have them created.

Sorry for the newbie question… but you’ve got to start somewhere-

another item that is really confusing me is as I try to go through the docs, i find that my menus are almost alway different than the one being described in each section. for instance I have only 2 option under my ‘pro’ menu (validation and email forms), where as in the ‘docs’ tutorial there are many options like settings & layouts and templates. Is there some other extension pack i am needing to install?

Hello Chris,

Thanks for writing in!

The images in our documentations is taken from the previous version. In the New version of the theme, some menu items were relocated. In our documentation, most of the items were under the Pro > Menu. In the new version, you can find all those menu items in Cornerstone > {menu}.

The templates submenu, Cornerstone > Templates is our template manager.

The template manager is where you can find all the save presets, content, header, footer or layout templates. To apply this template, you will have to edit a page first in Cornerstone and then you are greeted like this:

The “Use Template” will allow to you to select the templates from the Template Manager.

Hope this helps.

Ah, I see those items are now in cornerstone… just like the nav & theme option menu in the cornerstone building interface. Thank you for that. I understand that as updates come along previous documentation can become a bit out-dated.

I’m still struggling with my original question. Perhaps you can help here as well.
"I have just watched the two very nice layout videos from the youtube series. I am very much a beginner to both pro and WP. I am coming from dreamweaver. So, I’ve created a couple layouts but I really can’t figure out how to get these to apply to specific pages. Are there some other video I am not finding that detail how to implement these layouts once you have them created. "

Hello Chris,

In case you have created the layout from the layout builder, please note you need to assign the layout so that it would render. To assign the layout you need to go to the Settings icon —>Assignment Condition —>Set the condition like this for example I have set this layout for the Blog page.
Please have a look at the given screenshot below.

In case you have not seen or doc for the condition and assignment please have a look at it to learn how to assign the layout.

If it doesn’t work for you, please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • Exact Layout URL and page where you want to assign it

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Thank you Prakash,
I am really looking for broad strokes on how to set things up from the beginning. I have created these two layouts and now I would like to create pages that use them. But, I cannot see how this is supposed to work.
What I a looking to find is some sort of tutorial, or guidance, in how to setup the general structure of a more complicated web page. I have an existing website I built from Dreamweaver a dozen years ago. I am re-building from ground up. I came here, bought pro, was encouraged as your sales literature says a large number of users are beginners. Before I invest too much time building out pages or templates or layout or posts, I want to be sure I building out in a good logical format. I want to setup my site properly now, so I’m not needing to re-do everything when I get further into things. There must be some resource out there that breaks down how layouts-templates-posts-pages-content-loopers all best can interact together, broad strokes. In Dreamweaver I had several ‘Templates’ that setup a basic format for each page type. Those could later be changed, with the changes reflected downstream into the existing pages. In this WP/Pro environment, it looks like the term is now ‘Layouts’.
Anyhow, my site is medium sized +/- 100 pages. I have 16 primary products, each has many audio and video and other external links. I have 40 accessories I sell. I pro vide service for these products & have forms I use to register these . I have 100 client users each of which I’ve built a testimonial profile webpage for. I am aware this is a substantial amount of work to re-build. I have read most of the docs pages. I have viewed many of the videos. But I cannot find anything that really breaks down structurally a set of best practices for establishing good site organization. I do appreciate any help you can offer.

Best Regards,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Regretfully we do not that have kind of tutorial that you are looking for. I have seen your current site. If I am going to recreate it using WordPress and the Pro theme, these are the thing I am going to do once the WordPress and the Pro theme is installed and activated.

1.) Go to Cornerstone > Theme Options and set up the global font size, general background color or image (pattern) and the site width.
2.) Go to Cornerstone > Header Builder to recreate the site header.
3.) Go to Cornerstone > Footer Builder and recreate the footer.
4.) As for the content area, you can recreate the homepage by:

You can check out this documentation to know what are the different elements that you can use in your header, footer or the content area.

Now, if you already have a template, a content template example, you can go ahead to a Cornerstone > Page Builder, open the page are you are about to edit then apply the saved template. Please check out this video:

Hope this helps.

Thank you Ruenel,

I am stumbling my way toward some successes. Once I get my mechanics working then I can start to consider how best to re-tool my content, and re-style our overall look. (and them begin to populate my content!)

I have now put together a Header, a Footer, a menu structure, and a basic ‘Layout’ with some color & a little page content overlap. (there are also many many false start pages I’ll need to dispose of soon)

I am building a sample page (P-49) with content. (P-49 seems to be using the layout and is set as the sample? for they layout to look at) I am putting each ‘Section’ as a ‘Template’ I can use on other pages. Using the ‘Load Template’ & ‘Save Template’ tools at the top of page builder menu.

As I look toward building the additional 16 primary pages that all ought to have the same formatting, Is there a way to make changes to these 16 pages globally as I evolve my style, or will these need to happen page by page?

I guess I’m still a bit unclear with things like template items or formatting, and page specific content. I tried and failed to add in some ‘dynamic content’ wanting to put in a ‘feature image’ in my layout and have it appear on the page using the layout. Thinking this (and perhaps some ‘content’) could later pull into my Mic Index Page (perhaps an archive if I can figure it out).

Another issues I am having is in my page layouts… in P-49, when I select sizes 767 & down, all my sections reduce to one column, but that single column is only using half the allotted space.

I will provide my login details in private message.
I appreciate your thoughtful responses in getting me up and running with this project.
Please tell me if appears I am using these tool properly. Or if I’m mis interpreting anything.

Best Regards,
Chris

I have found the column sizing issue was coming somehow from my layout. I created a new layout from scratch & I am not having this same weird 1/2 column issue.

Hello Chris,

It is good to know that you have out that the issue is cause by your layout. Thank you for sharing the information. We really appreciate it. Please feel free to create another thread if you need any further information.

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.