URGEND! Layout Assignment is nearly (completely) broken

Hi team,

First of all, this problem persists since April:

unfortunately the layout assignment to a specific blog page doesn’t work properly.
Just ONE example out of a handful bugs:

I’ve assigned the layout page

• “29 DE Wachstum Pharma”

several times to the post/article

• “Wachstumspotenzial für Pharmakonzerne in Indien und China”

which is a blog post and already published.

The page still shows the normal blog post:

The article refuses to adopt the layout. and this is only one out of - like twenty - blog posts.

Important for understanding: the error occurs as soon as we change this label, the layout will not be assigned and nothing happens in the frontend. As you see: we can only make a copy or duplicate the content but not change the name - unless we want to lose the layout.

Also, just another point: with longer titles it’s a pain to know the name, should we guess here? The titles cannot always all be short, because the topics are sometimes very complex. Why can’t I enlarge the area so I can read the titles?

Can you please check this? This is really urgend.

Hey @cdelagarza,

I’d recommend you try out the Beta version of Pro as I could not replicate the issue using it even changing the Layout name. Follow the steps below:

1. Testing beta versions and updates are best done in a staging server so you can catch issues there instead of your live site. Copy your live site into a staging server.
  2. Open up your License page in your Themeco Dashboard and download the Beta.
  3. Install the beta on your staging site and test if you can assign a layout to each of your posts.

If the beta version fixes the issue, please kindly wait for it to be an official update. Only install the update in your site after you’ve tested it in staging.

I wonder if you tried this already but if you’re just changing content in the layout of each post, I’d recommend using Dynamic Content and Loopers instead of assigning a layout to each post. You can also see how they’re used in our Youtube Channel.

Also, I’ve deleted the credentials you’ve posted publicly via the use of the Summary feature of the forum. Please change your password as soon as possible to avoid security risks. Remember to post sensitive info in a Secure Note.

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Hope that helps and thank you for understanding.

Hi Christian, I made the optin but I can’t find the beta version download button?

Hi @cdelagarza,

You can find that in your Themeco Account Dashboard and click into the Listed site, you will get the option for the Beta version.

Thanks

I select the project from the list and see only two buttons, no third button for beta.

Optin has been made

Hello @cdelagarza,

I checked your Themeco account dashboard, it seems that the “Beta” version button is there at your selected project. Please have a look at the given screenshot in the secure note. I would suggest you clear your browser cache and then log in again to your account.

Thanks

Sorry but there is no third button, even after clearing the cache. :neutral_face:

Hello @cdelagarza,

Please edit your wp-config.php file and add the following line:

define('THEMECO_PRERELEASES', true );

When you go back to Pro > Validation, you should be seeing something like this:

You can then go to Dashboard > Updates where you can update the Pro theme to the beta version.

Hope this helps.

Can’t you just provide a download link please? It can’t be that hard to take the next step here.The problem with the layout assignment exists since April.

As mentioned in the first post: in addition, the narrow display of the layout designations is a disgrace. We don’t know which layout belongs to which content. This is getting to be a pain with about 100+ posts. I really hope you guys take that into consideration for the beta.

Hi @cdelagarza,

Please see the link in the secure note, you can download the beta version of the theme.

Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the download.

I have now used the version in staging and took as a test an existing layout that we had copied […] (1) (1).
As you can see: I just renamed the layout and after opening the post the layout broke or was not assigned anymore. So, unfortunately, the beta does not fix the problem.

Here is still the problem that the layout assignment does no longer match.

You can check that in the staging environment. Please let me know if the login works for you.

Hey @cdelagarza,

I still see the issue on your site but it doesn’t happen on my site so there is something on your server that corrupts the layout when it’s renamed.

I’ll get some input from our development team as to why just renaming a layout in your site corrupts it and assigning it to a post no longer works.

In the meantime, would you mind setting up a fresh test site in a completely different web host and test Pro there. This is just to add up to the theory if this is a server issue.

Please also give us FTP or server access to your staging site.

Thanks.

1 Like

Now we are at a good starting point. Thanks for sharing the videos, it helps to visualize the problem better. It’s really a weird bug from my point of view, also hard to describe. But I think now you know exactly what I mean.

At the second video, what does priority -1 under assignment mean?

I’ll get some input from our development team as to why just renaming a layout in your site corrupts it and assigning it to a post no longer works.

That would be awesome, thanks.

Hi @cdelagarza,

The Priority comes into play if you have two assets that might potentially overlap in some instances, allowing you to specify which should take precedent over the other. In these cases, the layout with the lowest priority will be used.

Hope that explains about -1 priority.

Thank you.

Could it be that the cache plugin is causing the problem? WP Fastest Cache.

Hey @cdelagarza,

I tested clearing the cache and deactivating all 3rd party plugins but the issue persisted so what I think now is it’s something in the server setting that is causing the issue.

Please stay tuned and thanks for setting up the FTP access. It would be best to set up a password for us though as we might miss the email in info@theme.co as it’s also used in other messaging as well.

Thanks.

1 Like

Please stay tuned and thanks for setting up the FTP access. It would be best to set up a password for us though as we might miss the email in info@theme.co as it’s also used in other messaging as well.

Please let me know if this is working for you, if not I can create that new account with one of my emails and setting up an individual password.

Hi @cdelagarza,

It would be best if you could create an account for us then just add all the details in the secure note.

Thank you.

Hey @cdelagarza,

The FTP access doesn’t work.

Please update us once fixed.

Thanks.

1 Like

New SFTP access