Modern Events Calendar Problems

Hi there!

Just today on a site I’ve been using the MEC on for awhile, it started eating up a ton of memory and causing server issues. I’ve tried the latest version 5.17.6 on staging as well as 5.17.2 on production, both with the same issue. I’ve upped my server limits considerably, but am having issues. I’ve also tried troubleshooting by staging, deactivating all other plugins and going to a default WordPress Twenty-Twenty-One theme with no luck. What’s the proper avenue to get assistance with the MEC plugin bundled with Pro?

Thanks!

Hello @lcreedon,

The issue could also be caused by a plugin conflict, amongst other things. Please check out this troubleshooting article here and follow the instructions for the following sections (where appropriate):

Testing for Plugin Conflict
Child Theme
CSS/JS Customization
Increasing PHP Memory Limit

To better assist you with your issue, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Hello @lcreedon,

Regretfully we cannot check your site because the given credentials have very limited privileges. Please change the role to “Administrator” instead.

In the meantime, please go to Tools > Site Health and make sure that there are no performance issues.

Regards.

Apologies, privileges have been updated. I’ll also check in on the site health.

Hello @lcreedon,

We have checked your page and it is a 1.7MB file size with a 2.2s to load. More details about the page if you check it here:

We recommend that you check out this documentation to know how you can optimize the page for faster loading:

Or check out this videos:

Best Regards.

Hello, I’ve set up a page that only loads the Modern Events Calendar, no header, no footer, nothing else. I will provide the URL in a private note. There are no other plugin resources loading and the issue remains… I have no other plugins activated at all, in fact. There is obviously some issue loading the calendar skins on the page, that’s what I’m trying to get help on.

I know it has to do with rendering the front-end included with the plugin because I can load the mec-event CPT no problem using a looper provider instead.

I’ll also include the PHP Slow Request Log in a private note where you can see it seems to trace to the plugins/modern-events-calendar/app/libraries/skins.php file.

Thanks

Hi @lcreedon,

My colleague suggested above that you need to improve your site performance in order for the page to load fast but it will also depend on your server. I suggest that you also coordinate with your hosting provider and ask them for help because the MEC content is just loading fine.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Yes, I worked with Cloudways first to ensure the server was over-provisioned and that all PHP settings were optimized for our use. Obviously I am not explaining the issue properly. I’ll just replace the calendar with something that works properly for us.

Hi @lcreedon,

Thank you for informing us. Please let us know if you need any further help on this.

Hey @lcreedon,

I have been reporting resource and out-of-memory issues with this plugin for many months. I have also upgraded our package with Dreamhost in an attempt to mitigate these issues, but they persist.

@ruenel and other Themeco staff: when is it going to be acknowledged by your development team that MEC shortcode is a huge resources hog? My own and other users issues with this are well-documented in other threads, and here is one more to add to the list.

Your feedback on this would be much appreciated, many thanks!

@outpost33 I really appreciate you weighing in here. I strongly believe my issue is directly from this plugin’s front-end skins rendering so it’s reassuring to hear I’m not alone. In the end I decided to build a looper using a query string to display events instead of using the MEC shortcodes and it is a serviceable work-around barring a more permanent resolution.

Plugin backend - no major issues, event single page - no major issues, shortcode to render calendar skins - huge issues.

Thanks @lcreedon – and I should have been clearer in my reply that this relates to MEC shortcodes specifically. Have edited the post to reflect this.

1 Like

Hi @outpost33,

The issue you mentioned in your other post has been already reported to our development team for further investigation. But regretfully, we don’t have any feedback on this currently.

Thanks for understanding

Hi @tristup and other Themeco staff,

I was not referring to the issue mentioned in the thread I opened recently. I was referring to the resources issues previously reported with MEC, as noted here:

And here:

And similar issues reported by another user here:

These common resources issues with MEC shortcode have never been properly acknowledged, and therefore never resolved.

It would be great to finally have an acknowledgement of this – surely it should be taken up with the developers of MEC? The plugin does not perform well in these scenarios, and causes extended page load times as well as other issues.

In many ways MEC is an excellent plugin, but it is let down badly by these issues.

Many thanks again for your continued help!

1 Like

Hey @outpost33,

The repeated issue already has been recognized. Regretfully, there’s currently no update on this though.

Please stay tuned.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.