MEC: Shortcode with filtering by tag is slowing down the page

Hello Themeco-Team,

could you give me a hint for solving the following problem, please?
I am using a shortcode displaying the next three events on this website:
https://khg-mainz.de/glauben#pray_and_breakfast-g

In the shortcode I use tags for filtering the displayed events.
And it is causing the problem.
Filtering by category is working fine.
Filtering by tag or label is causing the problem.

Can you help me?
Best wishes
Carlo

PS: Great redesign, btw!

Hello Carlo,

We’re sorry you are having this issue. I have our tracker and there is no known issue about this filter. Can you please share your site credentials inside a secure note so we can check your settings? Once confirmed to be an issue we will add it on our tracker to be forwarded to the plugin developer.

CiEO9VAXS9uo_SeQk4xmwQ

Hello lely,
Thank you for your answer.
Please have a look at the secure note.
I am looking forward hearing from you!
Best wishes
Carlo

Hey Carlo,

The page you posted loads fast on my end so the problem could be in your browser. Please try clearing your browser’s cache first and also try in different browsers without any browser extensions.

If the issue persists on your end, please update MEC to the latest version. Version 5.4.6 has just been released. Aslo, follow Webnus’ performance suggestion in their article: https://webnus.net/dox/modern-events-calendar/modern-event-calendar-load-speed/

Thanks.

Hej Christian,

thank you for your answer.
I can reproduce the problem with any computer.
Gtmetrix shows the issue with the TTFB too:

(I disabled all caching techniques for issue tracking)

How do you read the report?
Have you checked this URL?
https://khg-mainz.de/glauben#pray_and_breakfast-g
The login page loads fast instead …

I can’t update the MEC and thought that it is upgraded with new pro theme releases?!
I deleted and reinstalled it yesterday. Still having version 5.4.0
Could you explain to me the update routine for this plugin please?

Looking forward hearing from you.
Best wishes
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Just yesterday we release Modern Events Calendar 5.4.6 update, please see on your admin Dashboard > Aktualisierungen, you’ll see the available updates there. (If not, please click the Erneut überprüfen button).

Updating Extensions

I can not find your M.E.Calendar shortcode from this page.

Please clarify where is your M.E.Calendar shortcode. And please update Modern Events Calendar to 5.4.6 first and see if that resolves the issue.

Regarding the site performance, although your site loads decently on my end, you can improve site performance by following some of our guides provided on our Youtube channel.

Performance Tips series

Thanks,

Hello friech,

Did you have a look at the GTmetrix performance report?
As you can see there is a huge performance issue.
If I delete the M.E.Calender shortcodes from this particular page it is loading very fast!

Updating Extension
I tried to update this Extension more than a dozen times in the last days.
Attached some screenshots.

As you can see, an error occurred.
In addition: I wrote in my answers before, that I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin with the Pro extensions.

Where is my shortcode
Here some screenshots. I use three different shortcodes on this particular site:

Thank you for the performance tips. I will adapt them when solving the effect of the M.E.Caleder shortcode problem.

Looking forward hearing from you again.
Thank you in advance.
Best wishes
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Thank you for the clarification, but let’s update the MEC first to make sure this is not an incompatibility issue as everything on your site is already up to date except M.E. Calendar. Yes, I understand you deleted and reinstalled it yesterday but the M.E. Calendar on your site is still 5.4.0, but the latest release we did yesterday is 5.4.6.

Please do the following:

• Deactivate and delete the MEC 5.4.0 extension, from the plugins panel.
  • Navigate to Pro > Validation > Extensions and reinstall the M.E.Calendar, it should now install the 5.4.6 version.
  • Visit “Plugins” panel in your Dashboard to activate the newly installed version.
  • Remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Then test your shortcode again,

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

Hi Friech,

I updated the Plugin. Thank you for the instructions.

I have cleared all caching features which I know of. Server-side too.

The performance is still lagging. I retested the page again:

TTFB is as slow as before.

Looking forward hearing from you again.
Thank you for your time and help.
Best wishes
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

It’s really slow, it seems a performance issue with MEC, and it remains as is after the update. Would you mind providing your FTP login credentials? I could forward this issue for further investigation, but I need to find more information about the shortcode, perhaps I can trace what’s causing the longer execution time of the shortcode.

Thanks!

Hej Rad,
I added the FTP login credentials to the first secure note.
I have customized the webnus files via child-theme.
Disabling this customization doesn’t help.

Thank you form your help.
Best wishes
Carlo

Hej Rad,
any news on this issue?
Best wishes
Carlo

Hi @carlomue,

I can confirm that the cause of the issue is MCE on your installation, but it’s something I can’t reproduce on my installations. Perhaps this is a combination of both MCE and host environments that causing it to perform that way. Is there a way you could set up a clone of your site to another host just so we can confirm and compare.

This might be isolated to your site, hence I need the direct testing on your staging/clone site.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Sorry to intercept this thread, but just to say, I am having similar performance issues with shortcodes in the current version of MEC (5.4.6). Constant out-of-memory errors, and Cornerstone hangs when trying to add a shortcode.

I am in the process of cloning to another host to test this and will report back when I have more info, but it does look as though something is going on with MEC.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for updating this thread. I highly suggest that you create your issue in a separate thread with your login details so that @Rad can also investigate your WP installation. You can add the credentials in a secure note. To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Best Regards.

Hi @carlomue,

I wonder if the problem is fixed for you? If yes, what was the problem cause? And if no, would you please kindly install the version of MEC plugin that I shared in the Secure Note and get back to us with a result?

Thank you very much.

Hej @christopher,
thanks for asking.
I couldn’t solve this issue and disabled the shortcode on the problematic sites.
MEC 5.5.0 is installed. No change in behavior.

Hi @rad,
I made a copy of the site with MEC 5.4.6 and the issue is still the same:
https://khg.honey-studio.de/glauben

If you have any suggestions, I would be happy.
I try to disable everything and activate again step by step to find the problem on the staged site …

Best wishes
Carlo

Hej @rad and @christopher,
on the cloned site I disabled all plugins except for MEC.
I activated the Pro parent theme. No modified functions.php interferes.
https://khg.honey-studio.de/glauben
The issue still exists on another hosters setup.
Any ideas what I can do?
Best wishes
Carlo

Hi @carlomue ,

Thank you for testing that for us. We are going to continue the investigation to see what is the cause of the problem.

Please kindly keep FTP connection and User/Pass valid till our technical support staff take a look into the matter.

If there is a conflict issue most probably this will be reported to our issue tracker and then our development team will delve into details and if there is a solution it will be available as part of the Theme/Cornerstone new release.

At this point of time, we suggest that you use the standard WordPress editor to add the MEC shortcode.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Hej @christopher,

Al login credentials are still valid.

On the staged site, I activated the twenty twenty standard theme and disabled every plugin but MEC.
I used the standard WorpPress editor but the issue is still the same.

What do you exactly mean by

At this point of time, we suggest that you use the standard WordPress editor to add the MEC shortcode.

Best wishes and stay save
Carlo