Woocommerce; How to pick what is shown on the product summary view

HI
The first thing I want to do is to clarify what I mean by product view. This is related, for example of the output of this shortcode; [product id=" # "].
Right now it outputs the main picture, title, and price. As seen here .

Could I add other fields, from ACF Pro right on this product view? How can I style anything shown in this product view?

thanks!

Hello @flashfog,

Thanks for writing in! Please be aware that the [product id=" # "] is not a built-in theme product-related shortcode nor it is coming from WooCommerce. You can find all the available WooCommerce shortcodes from here: https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-shortcodes/

Your shortcode may have come from a 3rd party plugin. Any modifications to the output of any shortcode are considered custom development and it is beyond the scope of our support.

By the way, have you checked out the Global Blocks? You can actually create a global block and then insert product title, description text, product image, and other ACF data using the dynamic content which is available in the headline, text, image, and button elements. For more details about the dynamic content, kindly check out this documentation:

Or you can also check out this video tutorial:

Hope this helps.

Hi
I didn’t know I was not using a non-wc shortcode! I thought I was using the most simple implementation of the products shortcode! …i have no idea who is generating that HTML then. The funny thing is that it looks exactly as wc formats their own view.
I do love the idea of the global blocks as you suggest. Powerful stuff. I will get started on that.
thanks
Alfredo

HI
I was able to populate a headline with a price value… Brilliant!
Ran into trouble when trying to populate the image; WooCommerce is not providing such fields on the dynamic option. Here is what I see.
Please advice how to pull a specific’s project image.

Hi @flashfog,

To better help you with your concern, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

I posted them, THANK YOU

Hello @flashfog,

The product featured image, product title, etc will not display anything while you are editing the global block. You must use the shortcode on the product page first before it can display the product details. On the other hand, if you want to display something specific, you can supply the ID of the product and it will be displayed.

Hope this makes sense.

I think what you mean is that not all dynamic text options are available inside cornerstone’s global block’s module.

Assuming this is true, I added an image element inside of a regular CS session, and did not get improved results. Here is what I see.

Please note: I do not what you mean by “You must use the shortcode on the product page first before it can display the product details”.

Regarding this: “On the other hand, if you want to display something specific, you can supply the ID of the product and it will be displayed.” I wish to display the main graphic associated with a specific product. That being said it would be nice to pick which graphic gets displayed out of the possible product pictures.

Thank you

Is there no materials that cover all of this in detail?

thanks

Hello @flashfog,

With the current theme release, the dynamic content has very limited options. We would recommend that you wait a little while because, in the next release of Pro theme, we have the layout builder feature that allows you to create your own layout for the product page. If you want the layout builder feature, you have to upgrade to the Pro theme though. You can check out the status update here: https://theme.co/content/status-report-october-02-2020#layout-builder

Anyway, since what you have in mind cannot be fully accomplished with the global blocks and dynamic contents, have you check out the Essential Grid or The Grid plugin? You can create a grid and display the product items. You can also create your own grid skin to display any of the product information in the grid. Kindly check out the examples and documentation in the links below:

Hope this helps.

I am understanding here that the idea of dynamically picking a graphic is simply not an option at this point.

I just wish we had not chased this option if it was never really there at all.!

What is the aprox. release date?

Yes it seems they support ACF, so will explore this. Thanks for the links.

Regards,

Hi @flashfog,

As my colleague says, that it will be releasing soon with the next updated version of the theme, but there is no ETA till now. Also please let us know, how the Essential Grid and the Grid plugin works for you.

Thanks

HI
I am following this tutorial. The Meta Data Handling menu however does not appear on the left as indicated ( as shown here) .

Instead, this is what I see.

Please let me know how to enable.

Regards,
Alfredo

Hey Alfredo,

The menu doesn’t apply anymore in Essential Grid 3.0.6. It has been moved to the Global Settings.

Hope that helps.

ok thanks!

Hi Alfredo,

You are most welcome.

HI. I want to revisit your statement in this text, part of this thread;

The product featured image, product title, etc will not display anything while you are editing the global block. You must use the shortcode on the product page first before it can display the product details. On the other hand, if you want to display something specific, you can supply the ID of the product and it will be displayed”.

Does this meant that I can generate the equivalent of a short code, that I can place inside any HTML? …something which will output any specific product-relevant piece of information? for example full price, sale price, product title, all woo fields. ? how can I also make this true for ACF Pro’s entries?

Thank you

Hi @flashfog,

Yes, you can generate a shortcode and just added the product ID inside the shortcode and you can place it inside any HTML.

On the other hand, you can create ACF entries inside your product and display it in the front-end without modifying the template, please check this docs on how to display ACF without modifying the template.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Great… Can we go into detail on how to generate text for all the possible variables that woo tracks? in other words what are all the possible fields i can display and how.

…and the syntax that marries that code to a specific product ID ? examples?

thanks

Hi Alfredo,

If you are using the WooCommerce shortcodes, you can find the details here in this article: https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/woocommerce-shortcodes/#section-10.
And if you are using the dynamic content shortcode, you can get more details here in this article: https://theme.co/docs/work-with-dynamic-content#how-to-add-dynamic-content

Hope that helps.
Thanks

Hi
This article explains functionality which later turned out could not be used in the global blocks. This discovery took 4 days and 10 messages back and forth.

“With the current theme release, the dynamic content has very limited options.”

Then you sent me for the ACF pro / grid generator option, which in theory should work, but training materials are very outdated, so much has changed that using them is useless. I could not find a single video or article that addresses how to create a product view using woo / acf / any grid, just really old videos covering various bits separately. And to do this using global blocks? forget it, no specific materiales on how to do that, even though we already know there are caveats.

Hours and hours later I decided maybe I should revisit the shortcode option. I remembered that statement;

" “ The product featured image, product title, etc will not display anything while you are editing the global block. You must use the shortcode on the product page first before it can display the product details. On the other hand, if you want to display something specific, you can supply the ID of the product and it will be displayed ”."

Which gave me hope that maybe I can get dynamic text to work, if I do something different, that is, if I deal with the limitations imposed by global blocks and I can clarify what " You must use the shortcode on the product page first before it can display the product details." means.

…But when I tried to get help on that, to get to specifics ("…how to generate text for all the possible variables that woo tracks? in other words what are all the possible fields i can display and how. "), I got sent to the very same article referred on your first reply, 6 days ago. These are fair questions (please see link).

Displaying a product with text that explains things about it, based on it’s product ID should not hurt this much. This is more like pulling teeth. Should I just hardcode the summary product views?