Replacing old theme with new theme from design cloud

When I am installing a new theme from design cloud, the old theme still shows up. What’s the best and the easiest way to replace an older theme with a new theme?

Hi @deejay86,

Thanks for reaching out

When you replace your current template with the new template from the design cloud, please keep in mind that it will not alter any of your post or pages but it will just overwrite your theme options, to fully remove the current templates, I suggest to have a fresh install of WP then start downloading the new template you want from design cloud.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

I removed WP installation, reinstalled, and now when I’m trying to install the “Crafty” theme, it’s giving me an error: “Uh Oh! Failed to install crafty”.
I’m able to install the Lawyer site template.

Hello Deejay,

Please check your theme and plugin version. You must be up to date. You can also check your PHP memory limit. For more troubleshooting, kindly check out this documentation first:

If nothing is helping, provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Just Sent the secure note

Hi Deejay,

Thanks for the credentials, it seems, you’re experiencing a cURL timed out issue. Could you please try increasing your cURL timeout configuration and see if that helps.

In the meantime also make sure the following.

• Please ensure your firewall is not blocking requests to theme.co.
  • Check and ensure allow_url_fopen is on
  • Make sure OpenSSL support is enabled
  • Deactivate (hosting) internal optimizer feature (if any)

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers!

I checked these settings but still no luck. Just sent you another secure note

Hi DeeJay,

You already installed Benevolent demo content. Shall we continue with the installation of the Crafty demo site?
We will have to verify first and your permission before we proceed.

Thanks for understanding.

Yes please… I tested 5-6 other site designs. They are all working except for Crafty. Please go ahead and try installing the Crafty theme on the “Beta” domain I provided earlier. Thanks for your help.

I’m also facing issues installing “Batteries Included”

Hello Deejay,

When importing the Batteries Included or the Crafty demo site, there is an error 503 in the console. Kindly provide us your FTP login details so we can investigate this issue further because this is only happening in your site.

Thank you in advance.

Shared the FTP details through Secure Note.
In the meantime, is it possible to send me the .tco files for the following through email or something?

1. Crafty
  2. Batteries Included and
  3. Architecture Portfolio

Or perhaps, upload it directly to ftp and I can download it from there to use it on my live site?

Hello Deejay,

There is no manual installation of the demos. You have to go through the Design Cloud. At the moment, I have tested over and over and there is still an error 503. Can you please ask your hosting provider to disable your ModSecurity or at least whitelist the URL in the secure note so that the demo installation connecting to our server is not blocked.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

I have disabled ModSecurity. Can you please check now?

Hi DeeJay,

Thanks, would it be okay if you can provide CPanel login credentials as well? I like to check the CPanel logs first, the error is still the same when importing and it’s 503 service unavailable. The problem here is not the demo import process but the request to your site is being rejected.

And it’s similar to this Cannot seem to install anything from design cloud today, especially the logs in CPanel. The connection is not refused between our demo and site’s server, but between site’s server and browser.

Thanks!

Shared the details in Secure Note. Thanks for looking into this.

Hi @DeeJay,

I still can’t find what’s causing this on your end, what’s interesting is there is no more error being logs, which means, the WordPress doesn’t reach the server and it’s already refused. I created another site called /xtest/ and the import works partially for images, as you can see here, first few set of cornerstone-endpoints works

Then after about 6 requests, the server refused it again and halted the import. Is this something you can consult with your hosting to see what’s causing the service unavailable? If it’s an internal error then it’s understandable which means there is a problem with the install, but it’s service unavailable and only happens after few requests on the same cornerstone endpoints.

Thanks!

Here is the response from the hosting provider.

There are a few things I noticed.

1- Check the Resource Usage option in cPanel and you can find that the site has hit the allocated CPU limit causing the service unavailable error. You need to check this with your site developer as to why the CPU was hit. The limits are reset now.

2- If the theme provider says that its a connection issue, we can whitelist their IP in the server firewall and can try again. You will have to get their IP from them for us to do that.

3- The PHP limit assigned on the sites are way too high and can cause issues. Assigning 1024M as the memory limit will not only cause issues but also the site will not use such limits. Try allocating 256M as the memory limit. Lower post_max_size too.

4- I can see that the plugin named cornerstone has caused errors earlier.

5 - Enable debug mode in Wordpress and try to get the exact error and we can help you fix it if its anything on the server end.

6- Check with your theme developer and get the recommended PHP settings to be used so that we can confirm/update it.

Let me now the updates so that I can help you in a better way.

___________-

Hi DeeJay,

Based from their reply, you’re on shared hosting in which has limitations.

1- Check the Resource Usage option in cPanel and you can find that the site has hit the allocated CPU limit causing the service unavailable error. You need to check this with your site developer as to why the CPU was hit. The limits are reset now.

It’s understandable to restrict CPU usage on shared hosting to prevent it from affecting other sites (not yours) that are sharing the same machine. But it shouldn’t block all requests, instead, it should only limit them. It’s like they set a MAX setting, but they don’t want you to reach the MAX setting. And if they set a limit of two cores, shouldn’t you be allowed to use all the two cores instead of one? Does Does that means you’re not allowed to use 100% of the resource you paid for?

2- If the theme provider says that its a connection issue, we can whitelist their IP in the server firewall and can try again. You will have to get their IP from them for us to do that.

That’s negative, since the issue is also present on your end, and not just on our end. Plus, IPs are dynamic and may change anytime. Given that they should whitelist it, does that mean ModSecurity from the CPanel has no overall control? Hence, it will be restricted even if you disable it since there is a major configuration on their end that allow IP blocking.

3- The PHP limit assigned on the sites are way too high and can cause issues. Assigning 1024M as the memory limit will not only cause issues but also the site will not use such limits. Try allocating 256M as the memory limit. Lower post_max_size too.

This is the common trait of shared hosting, you’re only limited to their restrictions. If you set 2gb as the limit, it would appear as 2gb from the config, but physically, it would still 256mb. As for the limit, even Revolution Slider alone recommends 256mb, imagine adding more features to your site. A 512mb limit should be the limit nowadays even on shared hosting. But it’s their policy so we can’t really change that :slight_smile:

I also had experience with an essential grid, and with a set of images, it consumes about 180mb. That’s almost near the limit of 256mb. Now with the design cloud with many images to import, it’s understandable that the process immediately reaches the limit.

4- I can see that the plugin named cornerstone has caused errors earlier.

Yes, it’s cornerstone since it uses admin-ajax.php for requests, it’s WordPress standard way of communication between browser and server. It’s only masked as the cornerstone-endpoint. But still, it’s within the boundary of the features provided by Wordpress.

5 - Enable debug mode in Wordpress and try to get the exact error and we can help you fix it if its anything on the server end.

Yes, I already did but the issue is not a code error, but the issue is the restrictions that aren’t normally logged through error_log nor debug.log. This further proves the cause is hosting restrictions since there is no problem with the codes.

6- Check with your theme developer and get the recommended PHP settings to be used so that we can confirm/update it.

I already set them up through your CPanel and php.ini, but as they said, it’s way too high. Actually 512mb should be enough, but still, 256mb is their limit, and probably 50% limit on CPU since 100% is not allowed.

I provided a sample URL of my site’s test install in the secure note, it’s also running on shared hosting but I have no issues with resources and usage. The difference that I can see is memory 512mb limit, and it has 50mb limit for I/O resources.

In your hosting, there is 256mb limit, and 2mb I/O limit (which essentially related to POST size limit). Please check this screenshot from your CPanel for I/O limit.

A standard image size today is about 4mb to 8mb, that 2mb limit is not enough. That explains why the import fails when it starts importing some images since content and templates are just kilobytes.

Thanks!

Received a response from the hosting provider.

In shared hosting the resources are limited hence importing large contents may hit your limits and end up unfinished. I have temporarily increased the resources to see if that helps with your theme import. If the import fails again then the best option is to import the theme to your local machine and copy the contents to the server.