Layout limits?

Is there a limit to the number of layouts that I can create using the layout builder? We have more than 50 (for woocommerce product categories since the product category image is not yet available to use in the layout builder). After the 50th layout (alphabetically) the product category pages on the front end are defaulting to the standard wc category pages. Is this due a hard-coded limit or is it due to hosting settings? First I thought maybe we made an error in the code somewhere, but then I realized we had two of the same category layouts and when I deleted one, I got one more appearing correctly on the front end. Root vegetables (#50) in the list is the last one that appears correctly. The next one, seed mixes (#51) looks like the standard wc category page. See here:

I hope there is not a hard limit. Please let me know ASAP what we can do.

Hello @toddbenton,

Thanks for writing in! There should be no limits for the layouts. Can you please check the condition of your Seed Mixes layout? To better assist you with your issue, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Yeah, that’s the first thing I checked, as well as the previous category that works - root vegetables - but maybe I am missing something. I am using the standard woocommerce shortcodes in a text element on all of the wc archive category layouts. There’s also a facetwp shortcode in each of those even when there isn’t a filter in all of the category sidebars, but it doesn’t affect any of the previous category layouts. I’m stumped. Secure note added above. I sure hope it’s something simple that you can figure out.

I looked in the inspect element developer tools and found that on all of the ones past root vegetables it doesn’t show the main class. Here’s the elements for root vegetables:

And here is the elements for seed mixes. The rest after seed mixes are also missing the main class:

Hi @toddbenton,

The two screenshots show that the first one has been implemented with the Archive Layout where the main HTML tag is having the class x-layout x-layout-archive, whereas the second one does not have the layout implemented and that is why it does not load with the main. If that is not the case and you are trying to point out something else, please provide any screenshot marked with the issue or any video that helps us to recognize the problem.

Thanks

I was trying to show that even when the assignment is correct in the settings section of the layout builder for those that are not displaying, it does not appear on the front end. None of the assignments for seed mixes product category and the ones after it alphabetically appear on the front end. I made a video that shows this: https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/creVDIWgLs

Please login and take a look to see if you can figure out why they are not appearing even though they are selected just like all the others. Secure note is shared in the initial post above.

Hi @toddbenton,

Thanks for your detailed video with the explanation. Instead of using a different layout for different Categories, can you please check by adding the OR condition for the Seed Mixes to the same Layout where Root Vegetable added.

If that does not help, please provide login credentials for your site in a secure note to examine it further, including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

That won’t work because the product category image is not yet available as a field to add to the layout (unless I am mistaken, I read that in a response to a different forum post recently. Show product categories featured image in Looper) as a field to add to the layouts. That’s what we would have done if it was available and something we plan to add later when it is. I mentioned that in the first post in this thread.

I also already included a secure note in the first post in this thread.

After doing some more testing, I am pretty sure that there is a limit of 50 layouts. When I removed one, seed mixes layout showed correctly. Just from the process of deduction, that would indicate there is a hard limit on the number of layouts that can be created. I will look at the theme files and see if I can figure out where that is. In the meantime, if you can give me a php snippet to add to my functions.php file to override that limit, that would be great.

Of course the limit could be related to something server-side. I’m open to that possiblity. Just need some help determining which it is…the theme or hosting settings.

Hi @toddbenton,

I’ve looked into this and haven’t found a hard limitation in the theme itself. 50 layouts is a large number, and you could be hitting some kind of performance threshold. Prior to 4.2.0, builder content took up considerably more space in the database. First thing I would recommend is updating to 4.2.0 when you can.

In this recent update we made some improvements to Dynamic Content and how it works with different field types. There still isn’t a WooCommerce Category Image option, but we can pull that image ID directly from the database using term meta. Here’s how you can do it:

• Add an Image element and inspect it.
  • Click the Dynamic Content in the image control
  • Click “Term Meta”
  • In the key field type: thumbnail_id then click the insert button

You should see the Category thumbnail pull through. Hopefully this will simplify things for you when it comes to managing content now.

1 Like

Thanks @alexander. That worked! Now I am just trying to figure out how to add the products.

I’m not able to do it with the WooCommerce Products element. It shows all products and I can’t figure out how to set the condition to only show the products for the current category. I don’t think there is such a condition available. It seems that would be the simplest way to do this.

Since that didn’t work, I watched the first looper video and thought I would be able to do it the same way, but I am using a 1/4 + 3/4 layout (so i can have a left side sidebar) and in the video Kory chooses the row element as his starting point, so I can’t follow his process. I’ve searched in the forum and I can’t find anyone with the exact same situation.

Here’s what I’ve got:
Thanks to you, I am pulling in the product category image dynamically. I am also pulling in the product category title and description. I’ve checked the front end and that’s all working fine.

Here’s what I am missing:

1. Now I just need to pull in the products dynamically (just like I did with the product category title, etc.) so that I can have one layout for most of my product category pages. Some of them will still need to be unique because I am using FacetWP to filter within certain product categories. But this should solve the issue that I initially posted in about once I can get the products to display.
  2. Once I’ve done that, what condition do I set in the settings for Assignment? I’m assuming I choose Product Category> Amaranth and
    Product Category>Artichokes
    Etc.

Can you give me a step by step on how to go about this? I realize there may be more than one way but I just need a little more direction.

Hi @toddbenton,

I have created a layout by selecting one of the pre-defined templates of the WooCommerce archive and assigned it to 2 different product categories using the OR clause as explained in my previous post. And it shows the products that have the specific categories only.

Now please find the answer to your queries below:

1. You can use the Term Link element and set the Text with Term Name as Dynamic Content, it will return the Term Name.

Accessiories-Layouts-Pro (1)

Accessiories-Layouts-Pro (2)

1. I think the first screenshot with the assignment, can help you on this.

Please let us know if you get any further issues with this.
Thanks

I was able to do it but I do recommend that you create a lot more tutorials for different use cases. Since I already had a sidebar and need to show a sidebar the built-in template didn’t work for me. Fortunately, I was able to figure it out and finally get it to work starting with this post: Grid as Looper Consumer

Now, the original reason i posted is resolved :slight_smile:

Hey @toddbenton,

It’s good to know that the issue is resolved. Yes, we will be adding more tutorials to guide users on how to use the new features in the theme. Please do subscribe to our Youtube channel:

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.