Cornerstone isn't working after the update to 3.3

Hi Christian, my web developer is still having issues after following your instructions & deactivating most of the plugin. Can you please log in and check this out?

Hello Drew,

Thanks for updating the thread.

I checked the page and can see empty sections. Can you please give us the permission to take a closer look at the website and troubleshoot the issue? While we troubleshoot, website may have layout issues in the meantime temporarily.

Thanks.

Hi Prasant. Sure. Please take a closer look and troubleshoot. I just ask that you fix any layout issues that occur as a result. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this as it was working fine prior to the updates & more people visit my site on weekends. Thank you.

We’ve just pushed out a point release to fix a few more preview related bugs. Would you mind checking it out and letting us know if that makes a difference? Thanks!

Hi Alexander, I’m disappointed. After the latest up dates my website was all scrambled meaning I’ve had to turn it off/underconstruction. My developer then reverted back to an older version and I ran the updates again. The site is now displaying minus a few recent edits although I seem to be back to square one with cornerstone as it is not loading. Your support staff have requested to look at the site twice & I have given permission. When will that happen? There always seems to be issues when updates are released. I hope I can use Cornerstone soon.
Can you please look into this?

Hey Drew,

We understand that update issues are disappointing but we have logged in and looked at your site previously and we recommended solutions that we think is the cause of the issue at the time of troubleshooting.

Even until now though, I’m sorry but I have not yet discovered why empty columns were introduced in your home page only in Cornerstone. If you need a solution now, you can fix your page by manually set all your rows to 1 column only. Please watch my troubleshooting screencast in the secure note.

What we would need now to increase the probability of successfully tracing the cause of the issue is to revert your site from the old working state or old working version and then copy your site to a staging server and then give us access to the staging site’s WordPress Admin and FTP.

The benefits of doing that are:

• Your site returns to the working state
  • There’s no risk that your site will break because we’ll be troubleshooting the copy of your site
  • As a result of the previous point, we can efficiently troubleshoot

Your cooperation would be very much appreciated.

Hi Christian,
The issue with the classic columns was prior running the latest bug fix updates.If you log into my website you’ll see that cornerstone is not loading. If you think the best way to fix X theme/cornestone is to copy the site to a staging server, I’m happy to cooperate. Please keep me informed. I’m in Perth Western Australia, so probably in a different time zone. I look forward to your reply. Should I turn on the under construction app and pause google adwords?

Oh I see. Sorry about that. I thought those columns were introduced by the update which also made me wonder.

Activating under construction and halting other operations of your site are not necessary since the issue is only happening in the backend and only on your end. Cornerstone is working on our end.

Copying your site won’t fix the issue but it will help us discover the cause of the issue by doing the troubleshooting procedures. It’s not good to perform the procedures in your live site because it has the potential to break it.

As you can see in my screencast though, Cornerstone works so this must be caching related so what I’d currently recommend for your live site is, disable all features of W3 Total Cache, purge all caches and then completely uninstall it. Here’s a guide on how to completely uninstall it. I see Autoptimize also and it might have some caching also so please enable it and purge all caches in there. then deactivate it again. It would be best to uninstall it also. Also clear the browser caches after. At this point, you can check if the issue persists.

If it does, please copy your live site to a staging site by following the link I previously gave. Then, give us the staging’s WordPress Admin and FTP credentials.

Please also provide FTP access to your live site.

Thanks.

will send in a secure note

Hey Drew,

Would you mind providing us with FTP access. You’ve only given us WordPress Admin credentials.

Thanks.

Hi Christian, I’m not sure how to do that & my developer is not available.

Hello Drew,

You have the option of getting in touch with the hosting provider and ask for the FTP login details.

Thanks.

Hi Prasant, I just sent a secure note with FTP login details.

Thanks for the credentials. I’ve commented out the W3TC code in wp-config.php, renamed the related W3TC file and folder in wp-content and then I’ve reset your htaccess file.

Please check now if the builder’s working on your end.

If it does not work, your case could be the same as in the threads below where the builder works on our end but not on the user’s end which is you in this case. The reason it does not work is due to poor web host performance and/or sub-optimal configuration and it might also have something to do with your connection to your server which only your ISP or web host could answer.

With that said, I’d recommend you try the following:

1. Use a different computer with a different internet connection
  2. Use a VPN in your computer like https://openvpn.net/
  3. Copy your site to a different web host. If it works in a different host, it’s possible that your current web host is not good.

If that still does not work, regretfully, we have no other ideas what else could be causing the issue.

Hi Christian, it is still not working. It was working fine until the updates last week. I have no other connection related issues. Are you able to check older posts of mine where you have fixed update related issues with cornerstone? Can I use other page builders with Xtheme? Not that I want to. Very disappointed with cornerstone. That said I’ll try your 3 recommendations. Thanks anyway
Just thought I should mention that I can view it in “theme options” as per the bottom screen shot. What do you think about that?

Hello @mypropertyoptions,

I have investigated your pages and I edited it in Cornerstone. The reason why you are not seeing anything is because you have set a custom columns incorrectly.

Please understand than in every row, you can have columns. You break down the rows into columns with fractions. All in all, the total columns should always end up as one whole rows. Judging in the screenshots above which is what is happening in your row settings, you have divided the rows into a broken columns. You are expected to have only these column settings:

• 1/1
  • 1/2 + 1/2
  • 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3
  • 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4
  • 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5 + 1/5
  • 1/3 + 2/3 or 2/3 + 1/3
  • 1/4 + 3/4 or 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/2 (or vice versa)
  • 2/5 + 3/5 or 1/5 + 4/5

The total sum of the columns must be equal to one. Now if you want to have several rows in a section, you can always add a row along with your desired number of columns in it.

An example of how to have multiple rows and columns in one section

• Add a section.

• Add a row
      • set the row with one column (1/1)
    • Add another row
      • Set the columns into two (1/2+ 1/2)
    • Add another row
      • Set the columns into column again (1/1)

I would highly recommend that you edit some of your pages and make sure that you have used the rows and columns properly.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your reply and for looking into this & for your excellent explaination. I’ll have my developer look at it & get back to you asap.Why was the layout only affected after the last updates?
My developer says it seems you were trying to adjust your grid system and he cannot achieve a full width grid across the edge of the screen for the section on cornerstone. He’s telling me he will need to rebuild every page! If this is what your updates do I don’t think I want to use cornerstone at all. Updates it shouldn’t affect the previous layout that was done using Cornerstone.

Hi,

The grid system is actually the same as it is or else hundreds of sites will have the same problem.

For the columns to occupy the width of your sections, you need to turn off Inner Container of your row element.

I have created a test page that shows two columns with different background occupying the full width of the section.

Please check it out.

https://www.mypropertyoptions.com.au/test-page/

Thanks

The Cornerstone update has changed the set out of the custom columns as mentioned by RueNel which were fine before the update. I don’t see why I should have to reformat my whole site after this update. The issues from the latest updates have been dragging out for 9 days now meaning I cannot view most of my site to edit it in Cornerstone!
Can someone please log in to my site & help correct this update related issue?

Hello Drew,

Thanks for updating in! I have forwarded your issue to one of our developers and something that could happened is if you have saved the page with one of the earlier point releases (between the 6.3.5 and 6.3.6 updates), then updated to the latest releases. There was something we changed to fix data missing on columns (like the controls were empty).

With your permission, we would can removed the unwanted columns for you while we were waiting for a fix. Having to do it manually, we can save time and you can continue to work in your site.

Please let us know how it goes. Thank you for your understanding.