Unable to edit site for 24 hours now

Hi There,

Rad meant the FTP credentials. You can take a look at this article:

Regards!

Ok…but i’ve been unable to connect using my FTP client. I can only connect from inside the control panel…See attached.

Hey @doughballs,

I logged in to your WordPress Admin and edited and saved your About page and I experienced no issue (see the screencast in the secure note). Would you mind clearing your browser cache then test editing and saving in Cornerstone again? Also test in incognito mode and other browsers.

Thanks.

I can’t connect to the wp-admin page at all. The page just times out on firefox and chrome. This is on a brand new imac. No issues with any other sites or the internet connection. Hard reloads and caches cleared. I’m stumped!?

UPDATE: Incognito makes no difference. Safari also doesn’t load the pages.

Hi @doughballs,

I checked and it also works on my end as @christian_y tried. Connection timeout can be due to DNS issue too and not just about internet speed/connection. I recommend trying a VPN that can let you access it from different locations/countries and just to confirm that it works on other areas. And DNS issues could affect access to such areas called selective browsing issue.

Thanks!

Hi @Rad

Ok, downloaded windscribe and can now view the site fine. Thanks. How do I resolve the DNS issue without using VPN?

That is not a function of WordPress nor the theme. It’s between your host and your ISP. You will need to contact both parties.

Regretfully, we could not provide further help with this.

Thank you for understanding.

Great, thanks for your help guys, I’ll chase up the ISP and host!

You’re welcome. Glad we’re able to help.

Hi. I’ve opened a support ticket with my host…I’ll see what they say tomorrow. I’ve chaned my DNS settings which allowed me to log in much quicker but the preview won’t load still, on the page I’ve included in the preview. I’ve deactivated all the plugins. Can you try to open the content editor on the specific page and let me know if the preview loads for you?

Also, I need to say that the preview not loading is quite common, but I can often make changes in skeleton mode and save. This is a new low and I’ve lost the entire weekend on it. Every other website loads fine, no issues with speed, it is this site and this page specifically. There is no reason for this page not to load - the message is popping up with aggressive caching as a potential issue but this is just not the case. I tried to edit the page after a week off and got the aggressive caching message straight away.

Hey There,

We were able to check your site. We are getting connection timed out.

There could be issues with your server at the moment. Please let us know when it is resolved so that we can continue checking.

Thanks.

Hi @RueNel

So my host is saying that it is not a caching issue:

“We don’t have any special caching on our professional hosting package - it functions in a fairly standard way, so there is no cache to exclude the page from.”

A number of people on the Facebook X Pro forum said they’d experienced this same issue and resolved it by excluding caching, unfortunately this is not my fix for the reason above.

I just logged in to WP admin fine. This is a specific problem with the page builder, on some pages. I opened up the about page fine, but the two pages in the private note wouldn’t load. It is here that if I try to edit in skeleton mode, I’m unable to complete a save and the whole site goes down. So this seems to be a page specific (and page builder specific) issue.

I would ask you to follow the steps in the private note to see if you can replicate and let me know. I attached a screenshot of the preview error and the console.

Thanks,
Sean

Hi @doughballs,

I went to your website and installed the duplicate post plugin and duplicated the page in question so that I will not touch the original page.

Then I went to change the page and here is the result:

Now, please consider that a theme or a page builder or any other piece of web code cannot create such an error. This error shows that your website is down and it is a 100% hosting service provider problem.

Having said that, the page builder might cause the issue as the builder takes up some resources from the CPU and memory of the server naturally to be able to have all the goodies of the page builder. The website goes down as soon as we try to load the page builder which consumes the resources in a reasonable rate for a page builder but more than a simple plugin page. Now I think your hosting service provider resources are too limited and fail in responding to the needs of the page builder.

The only way of testing the case is that you move your website to another server or your local machine to test the case.

This is the most help that we can provide at this stage. If you want you also can make a complete backup of your website files and database and then upload it to a file sharing service and send us the link as a Secure Note so that I can install your website on my server so that you can see that it will work with no problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi @christopher.amirian!

Ok, well I have 3 backups of the site (by updraft) - you are welcome to download and install direct from the wp-admin page if that is possible? The latest backup (last night) will contain the error, and the middle backup (from 9th sept) was pre-error.

Here is my take. Trying to load the problem page in the page builder fails, and then brings down the entire site. Trying to load all other pages (almost - I’ve tried a lot but maybe not all) is fine, no errors. Also, the problem page loads fine on the client side (when the site hasn’t been crashed by the problem page from within the page builder!).

I create a template of each page when they are complete. Last night I used the ‘problem’ template on a fresh page, and it loaded fine. So there is something on that page that the page builder doesn’t like. The browser doesn’t have a problem. So it is 100% (in my opinion) nothing to do with my host, and 100% to do with the page builder. I’ve had an issue in the past similar to this, and support said it was due to unclosed tags. Unclosed tags can cause the page builder to not load correctly. I’m not saying it’s unclosed tags, but I’m aware that the page builder is very sensitive, and can be crashed by something as benign as an unclosed ‘strong’ tag. (I realise i should always close my tags!! :slight_smile: )

My next step is to delete the page in question, re-add it in wordpress and then re-load the template. I’ve tried so many other things - htaccess, plugins, disabling custom JS - all a waste of time, and it’s paining me that deleting the page and rebuilding (which will be instant with the template) is the solution to the 2 weeks I have lost on the site. There is something on that page that the builder can’t handle…but a browser can. This is the issue.

I’ll let you know when I’ve tried what I plan to do - feel free to download the updraft backups if you have the inclination!

UPDATE: Deleted the page, created the page again, went to sleep, woke up…problem appears to be fixed.

Hi,

Glad to know that the problem is fixed.

Have a great day! :slight_smile:

Hi @paul.r

After fixing the issue with the page builder, the issue has come back today. I built around 3 new pages, the site was progressing nicely, no issues at all with the builder…and then suddenly got the same ‘aggressive’ caching message, preview failed to load, whole site went down.

Is there any kind of advanced support I can get with this issue? The site works fine in the browser, it is only when In come to edit specific pages that I get the issue. So it is definitely connected to the content builder. I lost a couple of weeks momentum, had a good day today, and i’m back to square 1.

Having spent a good few months on the site I really don’t want to ditch the theme and start again from scratch but until I can get to the bottom of the issue, I’m not sure what other options I have?

Hi @doughballs,

So from what I understand this is happening only on one page. And when you started recreating the page it some point the problem appears.

This shows that there is a step that causing the issue. I am afraid I can not predict what step you take that causes the issue. The only one can find the problem is yourself in this case. I am afraid you will need to recreate the page again and take the steps one by one, and save and exit the builder on each step and go back to see if the builder is working. That way you will be able to find the problem cause.

At the moment that is the only thing that we can suggest as it is specifically on one page. Finally, as an alternative, I suggest that you try to build that specific page using the WP Bakery Page Builder which you can install from X/Pro > Validation page if the only thing holding you back is that single page.

I also, suggest that you create a template of the page and name it xtest and get back to us so that we can download the template and test in our installation.

Thank you.

@christopher.amirian

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the problem is a little more elusive than this. Like I said, I deleted the page, added it, then loaded the template (I have a saved template of the problem page), and then the site worked fine for a few hours. I built three new pages, and the error came while building a new page, towards the end of the process, several hours in. Really difficult to replicate these steps. (though, now, the old page is also crashing the site.)

Also, I can’t save a copy of the template as it exists now, because the page builder crashed when you load the page and it won’t let you save while it is in this state. If you want to download the template prior to some minor modifications i made, I’ll send you a link to the name in a secure note.

In addition, it is not only that page that is causing problems - like I mentioned above, the error actually came back while working on another page.

Hi @doughballs,

Based on your provided information, it shoulds like a performance issue. Are you on shared hosting? Is this happening in traffic peak time on your end?

If you’re on shared hosting plus doing it in peak time then yes, the builder may not really work properly or the host server itself will refuse requests, and the connection timeout is the result.

For now, what I can recommend is try another hosting (not moving but just trying and testing to compare it).

Timeout issues aren’t code related, but hosts connection related, like DNS issue, traffic issue, and security issues.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.