After cornerstone 3.3.6 update editor it not loading sections

Hello, After updating to cornerstone 3.3.6 the editor it not loading sections on any page I attempt to edit. The live pages look normal. Local and site cache has been deleted. Haven’t seen any other 3.3.6 posts mention this. Is this a known issue and what should I do to debug it besides turning plugins on and off? Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for reaching out.

It’s not happening on my installation with 3.3.6, though, I can’t confirm if you have matching versions since your site has no active X theme and cornerstone.

If it’s not the site in your license page, then please provide your site’s URL and admin login credentials in the secure note. Then I’ll check this issue.

Thanks!

Hi Rad, thanks for the quick reply. I just added admin creds in a secure note.

Hello @YogaJitsu,

Thanks for providing the information. I have logged in and edited the page in question. I could not replicate the issue. I was able to edit it successfully.

Please clear all your plugin caches and your browser cache as well. You might need to use private browsing mode or Incognito mode and test your page again.

Hi @RueNel, thanks for looking into the issue. Prior to (and after) any updates we did delete local cache and any plugin cache. I tried editing a page in private/incognito and I am still seeing the same issue. Also, while your screen shot appears normal, the content that is being displayed is very outdated…super weird. If you navigate to that page it looks like this:

Hey Ryan,

I see your content differently than @RueNel’s and also your screenshot. Please watch the quick screencast in the secure note. You’ll see in there that the issue is coming from your custom HTML.

I mentioned in the video that it could be an issue with broken HTML but I pasted your HTML in https://htmlhint.io/ and I see no error so 1 of your third party plugins or some custom code is causing this issue.

Please try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

While this issue persists, please also switch to the parent theme, remove custom CSS and Javascript in Theme Options and / or elsewhere in your site and clear all caches again and deactivate your caching plugin. This will help us rule out the usual stuff that’s causing common issues.

Thanks.

Hi @christian_y, thanks for looking into this! I see what you’re saying in the video. It definitely seems related to the HTML you inspected. The Table of contents and related articles sections in your video are supposed to look like the image below. We had this custom made and have alerted the developer of the issue we’re having. Is there anything we can share with him about the recent updates to x theme and cornerstone to help him debug this? This functionality worked great before updates.

Also, I am not able to edit pages or view sections, as you show in the video:

Hello @YogaJitsu,

Can you please deactivate first any caching plugin? And if you are using CloudFlare, please turn on the development mode first so that we can make sure that any changes we make in the editor will be reflected immediately and not the cache version. I am also recommending that you check your browser console for any JS errors because from our end, we can edit using Cornerstone and load the page without any issues. You can used Chrome Dev tools to check for any errors in your browser. You can check this out: https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi everyone, so the end-user issue with the large gap on pages has been fixed by our developer. However the issue with editing pages with cornerstone is still present. @RueNel, I have deactivated our caching plugin and have inspected for JS errors. I’m not seeing any errors but there are three warnings:

Thanks!

Hey Ryan,

Since Cornerstone works fine on my end, there could be something in your browser and/or computer that is causing this.

If you have browser extensions, please temporarily deactivate all of them to see if it fixes the issue. Please also try in other browsers, computers and internet connection.

Thanks.

@christian_y so this is super weird. I changed my internet connection to my phones hotspot and now I am able to edit a page. Surely this is not an issue with x theme or cornerstone but any thoughts on what could be causing that and how to fix it?

Hi Ryan,

Glad you were able to isolate the issue. Can you do a speed test on both of your internet connections and see if there’s any noticeable differences.

The only other issue I can think of is that your ISP (internet service provider) level caching. Usually ISPs are keeping cache on their servers so if that is the case, try testing again using another browser (perhaps incognito mode) and see if the issue resolved.

Thanks!

Hi @mldarshana, I have tried three browsers and their respective incognito modes. The issue certainly seems to be specific to my internet connection. The only way I can get cornerstone to load sections/edit a page is to change my internet connection. So bizarre. Anything else I can do?

Hi,

Please contact your ISP on this particular issue as it sounds like something related to their setup is causing this.

Additionally, your ISP will be able to diagnose things much better due to the fact that they have a more complete view of your account and can work behind the scenes with you. If the problem you are experiencing persists after working with your ISP, don’t hesitate to let us know and we will be happy to assist you. Any relevant information that you can share with us from your host is also greatly appreciated as it will help us to better ascertain the source of the problem.

Please let us know how it goes.

I am seeing the exact same issue as you after updating both Cornerstone and X Theme. Every time I update Cornerstone something happens like this…

I had a plugin called “Remove Querystrings from Static Resources” that was causing the issue.

1 Like

@Elliott, that was the ticket. Removed that plugin and we’re in business. Thanks so much!

@paul.r, thanks for the ISP tip, I will reach out to them if i run into this again.

Thanks everyone for helping us solve this!

You’re welcome, Ryan. Glad we’re able to help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.