WordPress passworded Pages/Posts not working

On our X-Theme site (v 9.1.4 and WP 6.0.1), we cannot get either the native WordPress page passwording or the Cornerstone Classic Page Protect to work. When I go into Troubleshooting mode, the problem only resolves when I switch away from X-Theme to a native WP theme.

The problem that’s happening is that clicking Submit does not trigger the form action - the page just sites there.

Normally, the developer tool in Chrome should show this after clicking Submit and the password being correct:

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.47.03 AM

but in our case, with a correct password, the page never even gets to wp-login.php - it just sits there.

I don’t see any javascript errors, so not sure where to look next.

Thanks!

Hello @ascotchburn,

Thanks for writing to us.

In order to help you with your concern, we need to check your settings. I would request you, please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details meanwhile you must troubleshoot a few common issues before we investigate your settings.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • Exact Page URL

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Here you go.

Hello @ascotchburn,

Regretfully we cannot access the WP login form.

• See the secure note below.

Thanks.

I just tried, by copying the information in the secure note I originally sent, and I got in. Let me know if you’re still having trouble accessing.

Also, I didn’t see any secure note in your reply…??

Hi @ascotchburn,

Unfortunately, I got the same problem and was unable to access the Admin URL of your website.

Thanks

So odd. I just tried again, copying and pasting what I have in the secure note - into a fresh browser - and it worked fine. You could try the new URL I’ve just pasted into the Secure Note - let me know if that works.

Hello @ascotchburn,

I am another staff, I tried to access your site admin URL but it is not working at my end as well. Please have a look at the given screenshot below.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay. See the note in the secure box.

Hi @ascotchburn,

Unfortunately, it is still showing the same error.

Thanks

Wow, crazy - is it possible for you to send an IP address for your office and I can check with the server folks to see if it’s being blocked in some way?

Hey @ascotchburn,

We can’t give you a static IP address because we are all working across the world. It could be the restriction is coming from your server, please ask your hosting provider for further assistance.

Thank you.

Turns out, the Host had blocked most countries in the world a few years ago because of some issue with our site. I know you have folks all over the world - is there a country where you’re primarily serving customer support from? Or a couple countries?

The Host has agreed to remove all country restrictions. Give it a try again and let me know how it goes.
Thanks for your patience.

Hello @ascotchburn,

I was able to logged in to your site. I checked one of your pages and this is what I am seeing:

• See the secure note below

If you are using Cornerstone in building the page, as an alternative to password protect a page, you can use the element Conditions so that the Section element will only display when a user is logged in.

You can also create a similar Section with the opposite condition that displays a WP Login form when the user is not logged in.

Hope this makes sense.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear enough. We get the screen you saw, but if you try to enter the password, nothing happens. I had tried the Cornerstone Classic Protect function, and the same thing - nothing happens. And when I say “nothing” I mean that literally no error message comes up, nothing happens in timeline of the developer tools, there’s no error in the developer tools… literally, nothing happens.

Hey @ascotchburn,

The cause of the issue is the form in your sidebar. Removing it will make the protected page login work. You can remove it in your sidebar or use a page template without a sidebar for your protected pages (see https://theme.co/docs/page-settings#page-attributes)

Thanks.

Interesting. I hadn’t thought of testing without the form in the sidebar. Thankfully we already have a Widget Logic function on the site, so I’m just hiding the form on whichever pages need Password Protecting.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Hi @ascotchburn,

Glad that we are able to help you.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.