Website crashed following Cornerstone update

Hello,

Today I updated Cornerstone and it broke our site. The error message is:

Fatal error : Cannot declare class Cornerstone_Shortcode_Preserver, because the name is already in use in /home/customer/www/enhancentertainment.com.au/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/classic/utility/class-shortcode-preserver.php on line 8

So far I have done the following in an attempt to rectify:

• Restored the site’s database and files from a backup made 6 days ago.
  • Cleared all caches (dynamic and memcache)

However the issue persists. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.

Further, when in WP recovery mode, the site can be viewed but with no images and shortcode displaying… please see attached image.

Hi Gav,

Thank you for writing in, that one on your screenshot means Cornerstone is not installed or activated on your site. Please make sure Cornerstone is installed on your site and activated, also make sure it is version 5.3.3 since that is a compatible version for X 8.3.3.

If you have Cornerstone 6.0.1, please delete it, and a prompt will show on top of the admin dashboard saying to install the Cornerstone, please follow that prompt and it will install the compatible version of Cornerstone.

Remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after.

Regarding the Fatal error : Cannot declare class Cornerstone_Shortcode_Preserver** issue, can you confirm that you updated both the X and Cornerstone? It should be both updated to 9.0.1 & 6.0.1 respectively.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

HI @friech,

Thanks for your response.

The site was running Cornerstone 5.3.3 and X 8.3.3 however WP had put the site into recovery mode which deactivated Cornerstone. When it was activated there was nothing except the error message displaying for the site.

I have now done this which has helped, thank you. However the for the top menu, only the hamburger icon displays, even on PC, and the bottom menu’s format is out of whack.

I have cleared all caches, tried on a different browser so don’t think it’s a caching issue?

Can you help?

Hello @gavgeorge,

In order to help you with your concerns, we need to have a closer look at your settings. Please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Done, thanks

Hello @gavgeorge,

It looks like your issue has been resolved already. I can see that you have already updated to the latest X theme 9.0.4 and Cornerstone 6.0.4. The menu is also displaying as expected as well.

If you are still experiencing some issues, please use private browsing mode and test your site again.

Regards.

Thank you.

You’re most welcome!

Hi - the same happened to me just now, however I have no way to go into my dashboard and update / uninstall / remove any plugins or theme updates because of this fatal error. Can you please help?

My website is tizianabellini.com

Sorry for being a pain but I just wanted to add that if you could get back to me asap that would be great and very helpful as our site is completely down and we might be missing sales - many thanks in advance!

Hi @Tiziana_Bellini,

I’ve deleted your secure note since it was visible to the original poster. The issue you’re reporting is because the previous version of Cornerstone wasn’t properly deleted before installing the new one. This is common when updating over FTP and just using the “overwrite files” option. I would advise fully deleting Cornerstone and reinstalling it using the WordPress dashboard.

Please open a new thread and we can help if you still need assistance here.

HI @Tiziana_Bellini,

Thanks for reaching out!

Just for future topics, self-responding or bumping your post pushes it back in our Queue system so it takes longer to respond to.

In Cornerstone 6+ that file should be located here:

cornerstone/includes/classes/classic/elements/class-shortcode-preserver.php

But in your install it claims to be here:

cornerstone/includes/classes/classic/utility/class-shortcode-preserver.php

I suspect what might have happened is the new files were added, but you still have the old files present in which case it would find both and crash like this.

Did you happen to update manually using FTP or a file manager? Often when updating that way it will replace existing files, and add files that don’t exist in the new locations but it doesn’t know to delete files that were relocated.

I would recommend fully deleting the Pro theme and reinstalling it. A good way to do this would be:

• Go to your file manager/ or use FTP
  • locate this path wp-content/themes and rename the Pro to something else, ( this will allow you to login to your WordPress admin)
  • Go to your theme page and activate any themes except for Pro
  • Then delete the Pro theme
  • Go to your themeco dashboard and download the latest version of Pro
  • Upload and activate it on your website

If it doesn’t help, I suggest that you create a new thread and give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Access

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Note: I deleted your credentials in your secure note because the one who posted the thread can see it.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

Hi both and thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! Apologies with the confusion over the use of the Secure Note and thanks for the other suggestion - all noted for future reference.

I updated Pro via the WP dashboard but still got the issue - although I did what you suggested and now the website appears to be working correctly - thank you very much! I had to do it a couple of times but now it works.

If I have any further issues I’ll open a separate thread as suggested.
Thanks again!!
Tiziana

Hi Tiziana,

You’re welcome and we’re glad that it is now working properly on your end! If you have any other concerns or clarifications regarding our theme features, feel free to open up a new thread.

Thank you.

Hello, I’m such in a hurry!! After updating X theme (9.0.5) and cornerstone (6.0.5) and Wordpress (5.8) all my client’s website crashed giving me a white page with the following message “Critical Error” and this link https://wordpress.org/support/article/faq-troubleshooting/.

I tried to:

• disable all the plugins.
  • delete and install Cornerstone again

After doing that a couple of time (every time the error persisted) I tried again but now Cornerstone is installed but can’t be activated. I click on the button “activate” but the page stays white forever at this link:

http://www.acquavivawt.it/wp-admin/admin.php?page=x-addons-home&_cs_activate_nonce=ebd1c5b400

What should I do?? It is very important that the website comes active and live again ASAP.
Thank you.
Kind Regards,
Flavio

UPDATE:
And now after installing Cornerstone I can’t activate due to this error:
Fatal error : Call to undefined method ReflectionParameter::hasType() in /home/acquaviv/domains/acquavivawt.it/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/Util/IocContainer.php on line 40

But such “Util” folder does not exist.

Hi @89Flay,

I’ve checked on the ReflectionParameter::hasType error and I believe this is a bug affecting certain PHP versions. We’re looking into this. Meanwhile, do you have the ability to set the PHP version on your server to 7.1 or higher?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.