Usability request: images

There is something about working with images that has bothered me for a while; it seems to not have changed in the current cycle. When you have picked an image, it is shown in the element editor, and clicking that image again will delete it. Requested behavior: dedicated “trash can” icon to delete. Otherwise, clicking will bring you to the media library (same behavior as now when you click on an “empty”, or deleted, image). Ideally, if possible, it will bring you to the media library to the current asset being selected or highlighted.
Why? Sometimes you want to double check which image is inserted (e.g. if you have slight variations of the same image). Once in the media library, you can simply “cancel” to leave everything as it is, or pick a different image.
The current behavior seems particularly odd when the image is dynamic content. I noticed this on one of the tutorial videos you have posted: clicking the image will delete it, consistent with the behavior for static images. I would expect that it shows the current DC code to maybe edit it. As it is now, as far as I can tell, it is not possible to see the underlying image dc code after it has been selected.
Thanks!

6 Likes

@striata, this is noted for the future feature: Beta: Feature Request - "Replace Image" button on the image source in the Inspector.

Great to see more request for it. :slight_smile:

It is indeed a little odd how it works currently. Glad to know this behavior is probably going to change.

1 Like

I second or third this or whatever… as a minimum I’d be happy just being able to hover of the image and see the source as a title tag…

Thanks everyone! Great feedback here. We won’t be getting to this for the current release since we’re just wrapping everything up, but we’ll see what we can do in a future update.

Bringing attention to this again. It’s a source of great frustration. Probably not going to get anything done about it in the current cycle, but one can try :smile:

3 Likes

Lol, I just opened a thread addressing this in one of my points. An evergoing usability issue. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I also addressed this in a thread but more simplistically.

@Misho the points you bring up would be far better :slight_smile: as are the points in this thread from way back when.

You can check what the image / link to the image is in the Dev Toolkit but it would be awesome to have this sorted properly.

I went through the entire Dev toolkit and haven’t found the image name reference? Strange.

I haven’t tried it myself yet, but Kory mentioned it in the thread I linked to.

Ok, I can’t find it either. Going to make a comment on the other thread.

Hey, guys…just wanted to chime in and say that this is noted on my end, but at this time the main priority of the cycle is stability with the major update and changes that have been introduced. As always, thank you for the feedback and it has been noted down. As time permits, I would love to look into these items.

4 Likes

Replying here to bring this issue back up to the surface… Maybe there is a chance to address this with the shorter release cycles now?

4 Likes

+1 from me, this has always been a pain point for me

2 Likes

+1 from me also :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the most annoying things. +1 from me again as well.

1 Like

We will start mocking design for this this week and share some thoughts. I agree, image is one of my least favorite controls.

2 Likes

+1 from me too

+1 (or +5, if I could) from me.
Most important thing for me is seeing the file name or the used DC with the possibility to edit it directly.

2 Likes

We’re going to start simple at first with the changes to images like below. It’s not making it into 6.1.4, but it’ll come shortly after.

2 Likes