Update Issues & Deprecated Plugins (Themeco + Third Party Extensions)

Hello there,

I’m having some issues lately, regarding the activation (on the X → Validation page) and the automatic updates of some Themeco and also some third party extensions.

While doing some searching on the Themeco forum, I found that some of the extensions I’m having issues with, are deprecated by Themeco (X Mailchimp & Custom 404). I’m having issues with the following extensions and inside the brackets I describe what I did:

1 . Email Forms (Tried to install and activate the plugin from the Validation page but I get an error when I try to activate it. So I manually removed the old plugin “x-email-mailchimp” folder, then installed and activated the new Email Forms extension from the X → Validation page, but then I realized that I’ve lost all of my settings and forms that I’ve created. How am I going to update the old plugin to the new one without loosing all the work I’ve done?)

2 . Custom 404 (That was an easy fix, because I didn’t have any settings to lose, so what I did was to manually remove the old plugin folder, then install and activate the new Custom 404 extension from the X → Validation page)

3 . The Grid (For years I thought that I had this plugin updated. It was working properly and I always update the plugins the soonest the possible. All good since this morning when I realized that I was using version Version 2.2.0 which was released back in October 31th, 2016, because I never got a notification to update the plugin. This morning I also discovered the Bulk Extension Manager, which if I had known before I would have seen the red bold warning for the old version I was using. Good news is that I think I fixed the problem: I deactivated it, updated it while deactivated, then reactivated it and it seems that all are working well again. I hope I didn’t loose any of my grids or settings.)

4 . Superfly (Like “The Grid” issue above, for years I thought I had this plugin updated. It seems that I managed to fix superfly’s problematic update too by manually removing the old plugin folder, then installed and activated the new Superfly extension from the X → Validation page, got an error message, went and manually removed the - random? - suffix in the plugin’s folder name - it was something like “superfly-menu-T85iPC” so I removed the “-T85iPC” - I then got back to the validation page and the activation seems to have worked and all my settings seem to somehow be in place and that everything works just fine!)

5 . Modern Events Calendar (I’m getting a notification on WordPress Updates page that there’s a newer version of MEC – version 5.16.2. - and that I should update it. When I try to update it I get an error. Then I checked that the version compatibility page on your website and saw that the latest supported version is 5.15.5, the version I have, so I am guessing that I shouldn’t worry about the error message right?)

6 . Are all the above normal? Am I doing something wrong that stops the extensions from updating automatically?

7 . Is there a page where Themeco announces the deprecated plugins and the process we should follow in order to continue using the new versions without any issues?

8 . By doing the above did I fix the problem or I’m going to have more complicated issues in the future?

9 . Any way to switch to the newer Email Forms without having to setup everything from scratch?

Congratulations for the great work you’re doing!

Thank you in advance,
Stergios

Installation info:
website worldvespa.net
wordpress version 5.6
x theme 8.0.11 (child theme)

EDIT: I just found that I can’t update the Connects - Mailchimp Addon, either. I get a “package not available error”. I searched the forum and found this that says I must deactivate and delete the addon, then reinstall it again via Convertplug Addons. But won’t I loose all the settings / work I’ve done to set it up?

Hello, @s_gogos,

Thanks for writing to us.

To get the Mailchimp Addon for Convertplug please have a look at this thread to learn more about how to install the Mailchimp Addon for Convertplug.

Hope it helps
Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for the answer @prakash_s!
I’ll then wait for a reply about the rest of the issues :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @s_gogos,

You are most welcome.

1 Like

Any updates on my initial question?
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello @s_gogos,

You can find the supported versions of all the plugins here:

Before any update release is available, our developers will be doing a test for conflicts and incompatibilities. Once the testing is done, the latest update will be pushed to our Themeco repository which is then available in Automatic Updates tight in your dashboard.

Hope this helps.

Hello @ruenel,

I’m sorry but no, your reply does not answer to any of my questions and does not solve any of my issues :pensive:

Hey There,

Mailchimp Addon is not an addon we are officially supporting so you would need to reach out to the plugin developer to get assistance but deleting and readding it won’t remove any settings as they are stored in the database and if the plugin is coded with best practise in mind it won’t delete those. All plugins listed on our Version Compatibility page receive updates via automatic updates so you can go into the Plugins tab in your WordPress installation and perform an update in there.

Thanks for the reply @rubin!

I got it. I will reach out to ConvertPlus for assistance on the Connects - Mailchimp Addon issue.

What about the other issues? I’m having some issues lately, regarding the activation (on the X → Validation page) and the automatic updates of some Themeco extensions.
While doing some searching on the Themeco forum, I found that some of the extensions I’m having issues with, are deprecated by Themeco (X Mailchimp & Custom 404). I’m having issues with the following extensions and inside the brackets I describe what I did:

Email Forms (Tried to install and activate the plugin from the Validation page but I get an error when I try to activate it. So I manually removed the old plugin “x-email-mailchimp” folder, then installed and activated the new Email Forms extension from the X → Validation page, but then I realized that I’ve lost all of my settings and forms that I’ve created. How am I going to update the old plugin to the new one without loosing all the work I’ve done?)

Custom 404 (That was an easy fix, because I didn’t have any settings to lose, so what I did was to manually remove the old plugin folder, then install and activate the new Custom 404 extension from the X → Validation page)

The Grid (For years I thought that I had this plugin updated. It was working properly and I always update the plugins the soonest the possible. All good since this morning when I realized that I was using version Version 2.2.0 which was released back in October 31th, 2016, because I never got a notification to update the plugin. This morning I also discovered the Bulk Extension Manager, which if I had known before I would have seen the red bold warning for the old version I was using. Good news is that I think I fixed the problem: I deactivated it, updated it while deactivated, then reactivated it and it seems that all are working well again. I hope I didn’t loose any of my grids or settings.)

Superfly (Like “The Grid” issue above, for years I thought I had this plugin updated. It seems that I managed to fix superfly’s problematic update too by manually removing the old plugin folder, then installed and activated the new Superfly extension from the X → Validation page, got an error message, went and manually removed the - random? - suffix in the plugin’s folder name - it was something like “superfly-menu-T85iPC” so I removed the “-T85iPC” - I then got back to the validation page and the activation seems to have worked and all my settings seem to somehow be in place and that everything works just fine!)

Modern Events Calendar (I’m getting a notification on WordPress Updates page that there’s a newer version of MEC – version 5.16.2. - and that I should update it. When I try to update it I get an error. Then I checked that the version compatibility page on your website and saw that the latest supported version is 5.15.5, the version I have, so I am guessing that I shouldn’t worry about the error message right?)

Are all the above normal? Am I doing something wrong that stops the extensions from updating automatically? Is there a page where Themeco announces the deprecated plugins and the process we should follow in order to continue using the new versions without any issues? By doing the above did I fix the problem or I’m going to have more complicated issues in the future? Any way to switch to the newer Email Forms without having to setup everything from scratch?

Thanks in advance,
Stergios

Installation info:
website worldvespa.net
wordpress version 5.6
x theme 8.0.11 (child theme)

Hi @s_gogos,

I am not quite sure why you have a problem updating your lists of plugins but we can’t determine the root cause of the issue if we can’t see the error. I suggest if you have an old backup of your website, copy it to your staging area and then we will troubleshoot it. Then please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Acceess

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you @marc_a!
I’ve created a staging copy of my website and I will paste all the information you need in a Secure Note.

Hi @s_gogos,

I check your staging area and update everything there then I don’t see any error you indicate above. Moving forward, please update your plugins every time there’s an update available so that you won’t face any issue.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Hi @marc_a,

PLEASE read my first message!

I never said I cannot update all the plugins (or random plugins)! I wrote that I have some VERY specific issues while trying to update VERY specific plugins. All the details are on my first message.

For example, I have Email Forms extension installed, but on the X → Validation page it saws as uninstalled so I can’t get the updates (photo below)

Please try to read my first message.

:pray:

Hi @s_gogos,

I have checked your staging site and found the issue you mentioned. There might be a few different reasons behind the issue, which are listed below:

1. You are using a much older version of the plugin i.e 1.1.2 whereas the current updated version is 2.0.5

2. The name of the Plugin has been changed the older one is renamed as X Email Forms (MailChimp) whereas the exact plugin name is Email Forms, and that’s why you are not getting the update notice with it.

I would suggest you delete the older version of the plugin and install the updated one through the X > Validation.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hey @tristup,

For sure there are reasons behind the issue:

1 . This is one of the consequences of the issue. Not the reason of the issue.

2 . I know that. That is (part of) what I wrote in my first message, 11 days ago.

I am kindly asking you to read my first message.

Hello again,

After experimenting on a staging copy of my website, I managed to fix (hopefully permanently) the issues I had:

1 . Email Forms - I manually removed the old plugin “x-email-mailchimp” folder, then installed and activated the new Email Forms extension from the X → Validation page. Unfortunately, and contrary to what @rubin wrote - “if the plugin is coded with best practice in mind it won’t delete any settings” - I lost all of the settings and forms that I had created in the past. So I had to do all the work again and setup all the email forms from scratch.

2 . Custom 404 - I didn’t have any settings to lose, so what I did was to manually remove the old plugin folder, then install and activate the new Custom 404 extension from the X → Validation page.

3 . The Grid - I deactivated it, updated it while deactivated, then reactivated it and it seems like everything works like before.

4 . Superfly - I manually removed the old plugin folder, then installed and activated the new Superfly extension from the X → Validation page, got an error message, went and manually removed the - random? - suffix in the plugin’s folder name - it was something like “superfly-menu-T85iPC” so I removed the “-T85iPC” - I then got back to the validation page and the activation seems to have worked and all my settings seem to be in place.

5 . Modern Events Calendar - I guess that’s just an update message that shouldn’t go through.

6 . Are all the above normal? I don’t know. Am I doing something wrong that stops the extensions from updating automatically? I don’t know.

7 . Is there a page where Themeco announces the deprecated plugins and the process we should follow in order to continue using the new versions without any issues? I don’t know.

8 . By doing the above did I fix the problem or I’m going to have more complicated issues in the future? I don’t know. I guess everything is going to be alright.

9 . Any way to switch to the newer Email Forms without having to setup everything from scratch? Didn’t find any, so I had to setup everything again.

Thank you,
Stergios

Installation info:
website worldvespa.net
wordpress version 5.6
x theme 8.1.3 (child theme)

Hi Stergios,

Glad to know that you are able to fix the issues, please let us know if you have any further issues.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.