Update aligned some images to the left, problem doesn't show up in Cornerstone

Hello! There must have been an update (maybe theme Twenty Seventeen 2.7 or Twenty Twenty-One 1.3?) that messed with some of my image alignments. I have a number of divider images throughout my site that are now left-aligned instead of center.

When I went to Cornerstone to try to figure out how to fix it, the problem doesn’t exist.

Any idea why this changed and how I could go about fixing it without Cornerstone? Thank you!

Hi @campkels,

Thank you for reaching out to us. After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

If the issue persists then please check for the following first:

1. TESTING FOR PLUGIN CONFLICT
  2. THEME UPDATE
  3. CHILD THEME
  4. CSS/JS CUSTOMIZATION
  5. DISABLING CACHE
  6. VERSION COMPATIBILITY

If nothing works then please get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thanks!

Thank you for the response!

I think I have been clearing caches but maybe I haven’t been doing it right. In Dashboard -> Settings -> General I set it to ‘Off (Level0)’ and at the top of pages I go to Caching -> Purge All pretty often. Is there another way? I’m hoping it is just something silly like this because I didn’t change anything other than the automatic updates.

It says that all the themes and plugins are up to date. There is an option to ‘Reinstall Wordpress 5.7.1’, is that something I should do?

1. Plugin Conflict
    I did figure out how to make the problem exist in Cornerstone (zooming the browser out so that the image does not span the entire width with the toolbar), but wasn’t sure if that is how I should ‘check if the problem persists’ like the instructions say? I was nervous to start disabling things when I was hoping it was just an update issue since I didn’t modify anything when it started. Would hate to break more things trying to fix, but I will if you think this might be the issue?

2. Theme Update
    I updated (8.3.3) and it says there are no more in the Validation. The problem is still there when I ‘Visit Site’ from the Dashboard.

3. Chile Theme
    I don’t use a child theme so I don’t think this applies to me?

4. CSS/JS Customization
    Followed instructions, didn’t fix.

5. Disable Cache
    I have some questions about this above, mostly if setting it to ’ Off (Level0)’ is what they mean by disabling?

6. Version Compatibility
    I guess it’s too late for this since I updated all my Plugins hoping it would fix?

Thank you again for your help and guidance with the caching and plugin conflict testing questions above. I came across some additional errors in pages with custom code so I’m really not sure what happened with the auto-update! Still hoping it is something simple and update-y :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Oh, also, I tried to edit the page in Cornerstone (wanted to test if these elements being “Classic Images” was causing issues), and when I try to save the page it says “Uh Oh! Failed to Save.” Not sure if this would mean anything to you all.

Thank you!

Hi @campkels,

Since you are done with the basic troubleshooting and the issue still persists. To investigate further about your issue, would you mind sharing your admin credential? To do that, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

Thank you, will do!

Hello @campkels,

Thanks for providing the details. I have checked the page and the issue is because you are using the large image size which is up to 859 pixels only. I went ahead and changed the image to use the original full image.

Check your page now.

Oh wow, thank you so much! I was able to re-add the divider image with the “full-size” setting for the home page and another page it is on and now it looks great! Thank you!

There is a 3rd page that has the same issue that will not save when I try to fix. I am getting the “Uh Oh! Failed to Save” message whenever I change anything. I cleared caches like this thread suggested. Should I start another topic for this?

Thank you again!

Hello @campkels,

You are most welcome. For your other issue, can you please provide us the URL of the page in question so that we can investigate?

Cheers.

Yes! The page that won’t save is here. I just confirmed that it is still happening. Thank you again!

Hi @campkels,

Thanks, I can confirm the issue on that page, I did my tests, unfortunately, I did not find the culprit. There is one test that I can’t do though since this is a live site and that is to deactivate all the plugins (except Cornerstone) and do a plugin conflict test. That means you deactivate all the plugins (except Cornerstone) and try to save that page. If it does save, then that means one of the plugins is causing the issue.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers,

Hello! Thank you for checking it out! I did the plugin conflict test, but it still wouldn’t save that page. It is wild because other pages save without issues and there isn’t anything special about that page! The console just throws a generic 500 error. Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you so much again, I’m sorry this is a difficult issue!

Hi @campkels,

I have recreated the page by saving the content as a template and load it into the new page, which resolved the issue. I would request you to check and let us know if you are still facing the same.

Thanks

That is brilliant, thank you sooooo much! I really appreciate everyone’s efforts in resolving this.

Hi @campkels,

Glad that we are able to help you.

Thanks

Gaah, I was so close! I had to go back into the regular (not Cornerstone) edit to re-add the cover photo and search results summary on the new page, and now the formatting is all messed up. When I edit and save in Cornerstone it is correct, but the frontend is broken. I’ve cleared caches. Any ideas? Thank you again.

Hello, @campkels,

It might be the issue of broken HTML. Please make sure you have not added invalid custom HTML in the page content. Would you mind to share the exact page URL with us in the secure note?

Thanks

Thank you for taking a look, I will share the URL. I don’t have any custom HTML on that page, but maybe the text? Immediately after the first section things are different (background color, no padding, alignment, etc.)

Hi @campkels,

That page is fixed now by restoring the original template. Please check.

Cheers,

Oh wow, thank you so much for fixing it! I really appreciate everyone’s help getting the site looking good again.

Thank you!