Sidebar is shown on layout in blog index but wont display

I’m following up on this request. Show sidebar on blog index and posts with global layout of full-width

I’m working on the blog index page. I used the code referenced in that thread and I can see that the sidebar is in the layout but I can’t get it to display.

What I’m really trying to accomplish is a three column layout with a sidebar left, content center, sidebar right. I got that working on the home page here using essential grid in the center and a global block on the right, but when I try to display an excerpt or post content with the essential grid skin, the page just freezes up and won’t load at all. So I decided to try it on the blog index page where I know the posts with excerpt already displays like I want it to. I think though I can’t edit the blog index to add a global block on the right side of the page without doing custom development correct? That essential grid plugin does everything under the sun but it’s a resource hog so I’d like to not use it if possible.

Any ideas or help would be wonderful. Thanks.

Hello @kevinwenning

Thanks for writing to us.

It seems that you have set custom sidebar for the Blog Archive Pages.

Please have a look at the given screenshot below

It seems that you have not set any widget for this sidebar because of that sidebar is not displaying anything.

Screenshot

Thanks

Huh, I thought I had deleted that empty sidebar but you were right. It was a simple fix that I just missed. How about the remainder of the inquiry about formatting the blog index page with a right column/sidebar/global block…?

Searching other forum questions I see references to using view_global_index to display the blog index in various places. Is there such a thing as a shortcode to display the blog index inside of a global block and then I can put the global block anywhere I like? I guess this would be similar to the old Classic Recent Posts element. If that’s not a feature, consider this a formal request for it to be a feature.

Important

• Output of the blog index would be controlled by the settings inside of each blog post and global theme settings just like they are now (show excerpt, show full content, show featured image, etc).
  • Would like option to combine blog index posts as well as portfolio posts in the same feed in ascending or descending date order. I’ve never understood why they have to be separated and can’t be combined in the same feed.
  • Index filter options still available if possible but not a deal breaker
  • Can be an infinite scroll that will automatically paginate on scroll or paginate by numbers at the bottom of index like it does now.

Hey @kevinwenning,

How about the remainder of the inquiry about formatting the blog index page with a right column/sidebar/global block…?

Is there such a thing as a shortcode to display the blog index inside of a global block and then I can put the global block anywhere I like?

• Regretfully there isn’t a shortcode or feature that you can do that. You will have to use the recent posts element to display the latest post items in your sidebar or in a global block. If you want a little longer, you can take advantage of the new Layout Builder in the upcoming release version of Pro theme which will enable you to create your own layout for the blog index.

As of this moment, your best option to display blog post items or even combine the portfolio posts in a sidebar or global block is by utilizing the Essential Grid or The Grid plugin. With any of these plugins, you can have a filter option on your display too. Infinite scroll might also be an option if you are using the plugin.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the reply and options noted.

Just moving content left and sidebar to the right isn’t actually what I’m after; the sidebar left-content middle-sidebar right layout is still what I’m trying to achieve. I’ve also tried essential grid and it kinda sorta does what I’m after but with a serious performance impact plus it doesn’t load at all if I try to make it show full post content (bug or limitation of the base plugin packaged with Pro?). Doing it with native tools instead of plugins is always preferred of course and for the most part I always find a way to do what I want to with Pro.

That layout builder status update looks interesting but I can’t tell from that brief if it will get me the layout options I’m hoping for either. I’m excited to give it a try. Is there a hard prod release date planned for that feature?

Hi @kevinwenning,

The plugins will not display the full post content. It can only display excerpts or depending on the skin of the grid. This is the default behavior of the plugin and this is not a bug or limitation.

We do not have an ETA yet. It is already in the beta stage and we are currently testing the beta release as we speak.

Best Regards.

Trying to display excerpt with Essential Grid fails too btw

Hi @kevinwenning,

In order to show the excerpt in Essential Grid items, you need to select the skin that has the excerpt within it or you need to add the excerpt element into the selected skin by editing.
Please find the screenshot describing the setting.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.