Manually updating Pro via the WordPress dashboard

Hi, I have an old client site that is experiencing the problem described here:

So I need to manually update Pro. My question is: does it make any difference whether I do it in the WordPress dashboard by uploading the latest zip file and overwriting the old version? Or do I have to use FTP? I don’t currently have FTP access, so doing it via the dashboard would be preferable, but this is a live site and I don’t want to break anything. (I’m talking about the process you decribe here: https://theme.co/docs/how-to-update#how-to-perform-a-manual-update)

Thanks in advance.

Hello @ShaunCoward,

Thanks for writing to us.

To help you with your concerns we need to check your setting, I would request please share the admin login details meanwhile I would suggest you troubleshoot a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings. Please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin-level username and password
  • FTP details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Secure note added. I don’t have FTP access at the moment as I said.

I am aware that there are some plugins that need updating but am confident that the issue stems with Pro 5.1.5 not being compatible with WordPress v.6. (Currently, the page builder does not load.)

Thanks,
Shaun

Hello Shaun,

I checked your site it seems that you are using the latest version of WordPress and an older version of the plugin, I would suggest you please deactivate the child theme and plugin and then update the Pro theme. If it doesn’t work for you please copy your live site to the staging server and share the staging server login details and FTP login details so that we can check it on our end.

Thanks

Hi there,

Yes - this was outlined in my initial post. My question was:

Is there any difference between updating Pro via the method you outline in the WordPress dashboard (see screenshot) and updating Pro via FTP? Is it essentially the same process?

Thanks.

Hello Shaun,

You can use any method to update the theme. Please note that on some servers we might get a time-out error or the theme is not replaced properly or a file permission error if you update the theme from the WordPress dashboard whereas if you update the theme manually using FTP or Cpanel you would completely replace the theme with the latest version. I would also suggest you deactivate all the plugins and child themes when you update the theme, after updating the theme you need to activate the plugins one by one so that you can determine the error if any plugin conflict exists.

Thanks

Okay, thanks.

Hello I am currently getting ready to do the exact same process. Have a site running pro 5.1.5 and wordpress 6.1 and need to update the Pro to current version and wordpress to current. So I was just wondering if it worked for you. I am debating whether to setup a staging site and do it twice just so I don’t break the live site.

Hi Jamie,

I would suggest you create your staging site and update the WordPress and Pro. And if everything goes fine in your staging, please migrate the staging server to live and try to activate the license once again.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

yes the license issue is why I am hesitating on setting up a test site. my client’s has suck hosting so no staging server available I would have to make a copy to test. Then if it works, do the same process again on the live site

Hello Jamie,

Yes, you can setup the test site or you may clone the live site to your localhost and update all the themes, plugins, and WordPress as well then you can migrate it to the live site. Please ensure you have a backup of the live site database and files before migration.

Hope it helps
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.