Layouts vs Templates

Hi!

I created a template and a layout. I was able to insert a template into the content of a page. Layouts I can’t seem to figure out. I can make a layout into a template but other than that, I don’t know how they are used. What is the advantage of using a layout vs a template?

Thanks!

Hello @kgpthemex,

Thanks for writing in!

You can use a template to create a page, post, or layout.

You can use the layout to display your posts, pages, blog index, category archive pages, tag archive pages, and other archive pages on your site.

To learn more about the Layout Builder, please check this out:

Single Layout

Archive Layout

Hope this helps.

@ruenel,

Thank you for those details. The resources really helped. I do see the difference now.

Having said that, I’m still not a 100% clear on their application. I tried a scenario and the result was not entirely what I was expecting.

My Goal:
Create a single Layout that applies to a parent page and its children pages. The layout contains a navigation element.

Steps taken:

1. Created the Layout
  2. Assigned the Layout to the parent page

Results:

• The parent page itself DID NOT display the layout at all.
  • The child pages DID display the layout

Questions:

1. Is it normal behavior for the Layout to not show up on the Parent page?
  2. Once a Layout is applied to the parent, how would you add content to the Parent page? Or would adding static content break the assignment?

I remembered from the Layout video you posted that there is a “The content” element. Adding that element allowed me to add individual content to each child pages while still benefitting from the layout. However, none of this seems to impact the Parent page itself.

Thank you for your help!

Hello @kgpthemex,

To better assist you with your issue, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your Layout settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.