Feature Request: color picker interface

I’ve noticed that colors inside of the color picker are sometimes hard to see – especially dark ones on dark background.

It would be nice if there was a thin outline around colors, to indicate, that there’s a color. (Notice how you can barely see black):

6 Likes

This :point_up_2:

+1 votes …

Hi everyone,

Good points here. You can get an effect similar to the screenshot by adding some UI CSS in the Dev Console.

.tco-color-palette-item button span {
  border: 1px solid rgba(255,255,255,0.25);
  box-sizing: border-box;
}

We’re going to leave this one for now, since that whole UI will probably be going away for Theme Options. I can’t say too much at the moment since we don’t have anything concrete, but there will be a new interface called “Globals” that will let you set Colors, Fonts, Dimensions, bits of text, links, icons, anything really. You’ll be able to name anything however you like and organize them into groups. A key advantage is that whenever you import a design cloud asset, it doesn’t pollute how you’ve organized things for your site. It will just create a new group in the manager with colors/variables specific to the Design Cloud asset.

I’m not sure just yet what that will look like visually, but since you’ll have the option to organize different types of data together it won’t be little circles like that.

3 Likes

That sounds really good! I think we are all excited about the next beta but hearing this already makes me excited about the next cycle!

1 Like

@SchoonhovenOntwerpStudio, thanks! We’re really excited as well. We’ve been talking about it for years and we’re finally starting development which is a breath of fresh air.

5 Likes

Nice! This sounds so good!

Great! :+1:

Amazing!

I’ve been in this web world for a long time and I’ve not enjoyed my work as much as I have now. This tool takes advantage of all the latest browser tech and deploys it just the way you want and allows you to iterate fast!
Now you are adding this. Keep up the great work! Thanks

Nice, sounds like we will be able to make more than one color palette and switch between them?

Thank you @samc!

We’re also planning on doing something similar at an element level. So on a Section you could define a color (or dimension, text, etc.) and it would be available in any elements inside that Section. It would be the same interface as “Globals” but scoped down to an element. This will help you surface properties in more complex designs so they can all be adjusted from a higher level element.

@JvP, you will be able to create logical groups like “Light Colors” and “Dark Colors” almost like a folder system to keep things organized. It won’t however act like palette switching where you can change all the colors at once. You’ll still need to change each color individually to propagate those changes across your site.

@alexander so if im getting what you are saying right, it will basically be very similar to what adobe does with their Library tab?

Like this screenshot:

@Maratopia_Digital,

So I’m not familiar with the specific behaviors of Adobe’s Libraries but just from looking at that screenshot, yes that’s the gist of it. Ours will allow creating your own groups, and placing any type of variable inside it. So you could have a group called “Landing Page” and have specific fonts, colors, dimensions, etc. just for that one context. Of course you could also just have groups called “Colors” and “Fonts” and organize things by type yourself. You’ll get to decide on your workflow how things are grouped.