WPML and Pro

Hi there,

it seems WPML is not supported completely. There are also bugs that make it hard to work with wpml in pro.

• language per domain is not supported (broken since 4.0 release)
  • when editing the translated woo archive or single layout => the catogiries are in the main language. after x refreshes the categories are in the translated language and can then selected so the content is shown in frontend. it seems that this does not work out of the box (just copy the layout to another language: the products are all missing)
  • a lot of minor problems… i can make a detailed list if needed

are there any plans to solve those issues and make wpml 100% pro compatible?

Thanks!
Harald

3 Likes

Hi,
another BUG: when translating the shop acrhive layout => all there in main language => switching to second language and copy the content => the whole page is empty. i can only edit with the inspector…

annoying bug and it takes ages to work that way, because i have to save and check on the frontend…

Hi,
is there any timetable for this? any news? any answer? :slight_smile:
thanks

1 Like
  • language per domain Probably something we have to handle and not WPML. It’s unfortunate it wasn’t supported in version 4 because it’d be a technical challenge to get working again. It probably won’t come for quite a while if at all, as I fix issues to get us closer to this.
  • I’m not entirely sure what you mean here. I will say on one of my WPML sites the shop archive won’t ever change to the proper language directory. Not sure why, but I can reach out to them if I need to.

Frankly WPML and localization did pretty terrible in the poll so it’s not something we’ll be focusing on unless that changes in the next one. I’m aware of the years of issues here, I’d encourage you to reach out to WPML as well. Some things we can fix and some things are in their power. Have a great weekend.

Hi Charlie,

are there any news on the WPML thing?
We are working on a Big site where a lot of conditions are inside.
Now we have following problems: when translating the category (Buch => Book) Pro has the problem that it does not get the translated categories for the conditions automatically. i had to reselect all categories for all conditions on the whole website. that took a long time…
also the domain and subdomain thing is really annoying!

thank you in advance
Harry

1 Like

Not really. Pro 6.5 we’re going to add a way to tap into the __ function which should allow a way for component content to be translated. And also provide a way for other plugins to be able to translate our content. Also allowing to have HTML based content to be translated without translating the HTML tags as well. Ideally I’d like to move us in a direction away from WPML specific code and try to tap into WordPress features specific to localization.

From my standpoint, going through each assignment and condition and translating that would be a pretty big undertaking. What was your use case for translating a layout? Could I see your site and get some ideas on how WPML is used on your end?

For the subdomain issue, if Pro worked properly in this regard the whole app would probably be a lot quicker so there’s good incentive to do this long term. It’s a pretty serious change though and probably not going to be looked at till after Pro 6.5.

Hi charlie,
thank you for your answer.

Pls take a look at our staging site. we did translate in 2 languages. pls check the components and conditions in product single.
Also try to edit a page and click on the second language… then you also see the error from builder… it works when we enter the sudomain for the language… (eg ch.domain.com)
is it not possible that you add some kind of auto forward to this url?
i will send creds in secure note.
cheers

Appreciate me being able to look at this. Sites looking good too.

If by auto forward you mean redirect the page I think we can get something like that setup for the meantime. Would love for tabs to just work, but I know that’s going to take some time. It does put the app into a weird state where you lose your tabs when you go into the subdomain, but that’s probably preferable to how it works right now where you receive an error message. I’ll run through it a couple more times and we’ll get Cornerstone updated in a release or two. Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Hi,
thank you Charlie :slight_smile: did you also notice that condition problem?
we have a single product page with a lot of conditions. when translating that into another language i have to reselect the categories…
thanks again!

1 Like

I see what you mean, but from my standpoint that’s a little more tricky. It would require knowing which ones to translate, and then factoring in that you would have to also go through every element on the page and translate those conditions. I’ll take in the request though and probably work on fixing the sub dir issue first. Have a great day.