WordPress Menus Timeout due to Cornerstone

Hi,

A client has a large ecommerce site using the X theme, when trying to edit the menu through Appreance > Menus they received a timed-out “Aw Snap!” message.

When trying to figure out what might have caused this we disabled all the plugins and tried to recreate it. We found that it would only happen when Cornerstone was enabled.

They do have a lot of items in the menu so I believe it could be timing out when trying to load - I have spoken to the web host they have checked the PHP memory configuration and it is set to the full 2GB.

Any thoughts on what can be done to solve this?

If you need any more information, let me know, and I will be happy to provide it.

Kind regards,
Ben

Hello Ben,

Thanks for writing in! Based on your description, you are experiencing Maximum Execution Timeout. Most of the time, if you have more than 20 menu items, WordPress will become slower in loading the items in Appearance > Menus . To get this resolve, you need to increase your PHP input max value and the PHP maximum execution limit. You may need to check out this links:

If nothing is helping, provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Hi @ruenel,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The execution time is already set to 6000.

I have attached the current .htaccess in case anything can be changed.

Kind regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

If the execution time is already set, there might be some different reasons behind your issue. I would like to suggest troubleshooting the following common issue to help us to recognize the reason.

1. Theme Related Issue
  2. Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update related issue
  4. Child Theme Related issue
  5. CSS/JS Customization
  6. Disabling Cache
  7. Disabling CDN

If you discover that an issue is coming from a custom code or 3rd party plugin, kindly consult with a developer or contact the plugin author. Please note that we do not provide support for custom codes and 3rd party plugins.
If none of the above help, please copy your live site to a staging server so we could troubleshoot freely without breaking your live site. And give us access to the secure note including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

I have this issue on a few sites of mine with large menus.

I think it’s because it loads the icon options on each menu item. if you edit the menu through the WordPress customer > Menus which does not include these options it works fine.

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately, the issue has never been replicated in my local environment. If you still facing the issue, please create the staging server and share the credentials for further investigation.

Thanks

Hi,

I have not been unable to recreate it on my machine but a few of the clients and the web hosting company have been able to recreate it.

We turned off all the plugins and it only happened when Cornerstone was enabled. Also to my knowledge, it shouldn’t be caused by the cache as it is in the WordPress admin - this doesn’t use cache?

I’ll go back to the client with the alternative WordPress admin > Appearance > Customise > Menus that @Neil_Randle has said. It looks like it should work.

As long as that works we should be alright!

Thank you guys for your help!

Kind regards,
Ben

Hi Ben,

You are most welcome. Please let us know if you have any further problems with this.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.