Website breaks when updating WP, Theme & Plugins

Good morning. Currently the website is on

PHP v7.4.33
WP v6.1.1
Themeco X v5.1.0
Cornerstone 2.0.5

I can’t update WordPress, as tech support at my hosting company says that the theme is breaking it, to use their words, “not configured correctly”. I tried to get out f them exactly what it is that is breaking the update to the latest version of WP, but of course they avoid my questions. I was told to update the theme.

Upon attempts to update to X v10.4.15, together with the latest version of Cornerstone, the site breaks. See screenshot of the errors from Cornerstone.

I would appreciate assistance, please.
Madie

Hello Madie,

Thanks for writing to us.

To help you with your concerns we need to check your settings, I would request please share the admin login details meanwhile I would suggest you troubleshoot a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings. Please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin-level username and password
  • FTP login details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

@prakash_s I sent a secure note with login credentials

Hi Madie,

I have checked the website listed and found that you are using a very old version of X i.e. 5.1.0 and the *Cornerstone version is 2.0.5. As you are using a very old version, I suggest you copy your live site to a staging server and update the X and Cornerstone by following the below steps.

1. Delete the existing Cornerstone
  2. Update the X theme to the latest version on automatic updates
  3. After the X theme is updated, use the link in the dashboard to automatically install the Cornerstone. It will be on the latest version

And if everything goes fine in your staging, please migrate the staging server to live and try to activate the license once again.
Please remember that, as you are using a much older version, you may need to create a few pages from scratch.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Good morning @tristup

I have already taken those steps as suggested, but in fact on the live site. I restored back to a previous backup afterwards. I will guarantee you 100% that if I follow your suggestion in a staging environment, it is going to have the same results.

Our main concern is the integration with MailChimp that broke.

Please advise next steps.

Madie

Hi Maddie,

Mailchimp integration is beyond the scope of our Theme Support. If that only breaks after you update the X and Cornerstone, I would suggest you contact the author of the plugin you are using to integrate Mailchimp.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

It is Themeco’s integration with MailChimp, which is why I am contacting you. We’re using one of the X-theme extensions.

And just to be clear, the WordPress and the theme breaks, regardless of the MailChimp issue.

Just to bring it under your attention again: our main issue is the integration with MailChimp. However, with years’ of experience, I know that you (Themeco) can’t troubleshoot that issue, unless the site is working correctly. My efforts are put forth to update the website to all it’s latest versions, so as to eliminate that as a possible cause of the MailChimp integration malfunctioning.

But like I said starting this thread, I can’t update the WP platform, nor can I update the Theme. I spoke to our site hosting provider (SiteGround). Their finding was that the theme is breaking the WP-update. So the logical next step is to update the theme. And as you can see, the site is running on a very old version of X.

I have since bought a new license, to do the upgrade properly to the latest version. My question to you as tech support for the X-theme is, how do we update the latest version without the theme breaking the website? Once we are able to fix that, I would politely ask that we continue troubleshooting the MailChimp-issue.

Hi Madie,

The issue with Mailchimp might be due to the X theme version. To update the X theme and the Cornerstone, please follow the way I have suggested in my previous reply. Once you are able to update those in your staging we will investigate the Mailchimp issue.

You may get an issue while updating the WordPress in your staging. I would suggest you delete the X and activate any other default theme while updating the WordPress, once done upload the X by downloading it from your Themeco Account and follow the steps to activate the Cornerstone described in my previous reply.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

It is going to take me a few days to do this, @tristup. I’ll report back once done. Thank you in advance.

You are most welcome Madie.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.