Video background for footer missing on Apple

I have a video background set for my footer and it works in Chrome. Firefox, Edge, & Android.

It does not work on iOS (blank space).

Hi Stella,

Thanks for reaching out.

I can confirm this, but seems weird as the other videos are working fine. Would you mind providing your admin login credentials in the secure note? I’ll try another video.

Thanks!

Yes, thank you. Just added wp-admin info to the previous secure note.

Hello Stella Luca,

Please make sure that the upper layer is disabled.

JLSAwxhQS-KiTtZjVqZnSQ

The upper layer may be covering the lower video layer.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, it did not solve the issue. I tried using the upper layer & lower layer (disabling the unused layer in each setting). None of those variations worked.

Any update on this?

Hi Stella,

We are sorry for our late reply, for some reason the thread did not show in the queue.

I went to your website and added a test page. Then I went to the Footer builder and copied your footer and assigned the new test footer to the test page.

The next thing I have done was to change the background video to the video that we used on the Integrity Business demo:

https://demo.theme.co/integrity-business/

Now I checked the video with Safari desktop (currently I have no access to IOS at the moment) and now it shows correctly.

This is an indication that the video file that you used is not compatible with IOS. Please kindly make sure that the video has the standard below:

Thank you.

Unfortunately that’s not the solution. Your test video isn’t showing on iOS either. iPhone XS with 13.3.1 did not work and another with iOS 13.5 does not show.

The video is (was always) an MP4 so it is on the list of compatible videos. It plays fine on iOS if you go to the direct link.

it’s only when it’s in that footer that it is blank.

Hi Stella,

This is the error I’m getting, it says the video format is not supported. And MEJS is a media player built-in to Wordpress.

I tried on my site as well, and all videos aren’t working on iOS 13.4.1 and it seems a permission error. iOS no longer support autoplay videos. Could you try a MOV format?

Please check this as well https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLMediaElement/play, and quoted

NotAllowedError

The user agent (browser) or operating system doesn’t allow playback of media in the current context or situation. This may happen, for example, if the browser requires the user to explicitly start media playback by clicking a “play” button.

Hence, it might really permission error, and videos might need different implementation. Unfortunately, due to ever changing standards of OS providers, and even browsers, hence this can’t be avoided. We’ll further check this and see what we can do, but as of now, there is no temporary solution especially our theme only uses the media player provided by Wordpress, it’s only styled to make it uniform with the theme design.

Thanks!

MOV works on an iPad with 13.5 (this iPad DID also show the MP4) but it does not work on Chrome (desktop or pc) Edge, or Firefox (it just shows blank space). I can’t check the iPhone XS right now (which was the only device that did not show the MP4) but I’m not sure it matters if the MOV won’t work on the other browsers anyway.

Can Pro be coded to check for the browser and then serve up a format that is compatible? Otherwise it sounds like this just kills video headers and footers which are a really prominent selling feature for Pro.

Other option would be a fallback background (jpg)?

Thank you.

Hello Stella,

The Pro theme’s video element is only a container to display the video. The browser’s job is to play the video if it is supported. *.mov file is renown to be supported in MacOS and iOS devices. The problem is that the this file is not cross browser compatible which is why *.mp4 is widely used. There are times that a video even if it is already a .mp4 already, the browser cannot play it. This is because of bad video conversion. Do you still have to original video file? If you are the one who edit the video, please export your video again with a higher bitrate and adjust other export settings. If you have the original video in a different format, kindly download Handbrake (handbrake.fr) software and convert your video into .mp4. This resolve any video playing format and make sure that the video will be playable with any browser.

And yes, the poster image in the video background setting is helpful. The image will replace the background video if it is not playing.

We would love to know if this has worked for you. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.