Autoplay of video on mobile (iOS) - again!

It’s this one again! I posted about this here a while ago and received the following reply:

“If you’re not planning to overlay an element in your video, you can use the Video element . I just tested it and it auto-plays on my phone provided the video is muted as required by modern browsers.”

I’ve tried that with the settings as shown:

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 12.40.36

Still doesn’t work on my iPhone X. I think I’ve read just about everything there is to read about this and I’m sure it should work - Apple’s own advice for autoplay videos would suggest that it should. I have seen it working on other sites, eg. runcompany.co.uk.

So… any ideas?! Thanks!

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for reaching out.

I’m seeing multiple reports about this issue, and every time I checked, it’s device permission related. It seems the Wordpress’ built-in MediaElementJs library is not getting permission for some device, a standard <video> works, but not the player. Please check this related thread Video background for footer missing on Apple

When it comes to permission, the theme only works on top of Wordpress and it’s rendered by the browser, and permitting it depends on the device. I also added this to our issue tracker and this issue appears on the iOS update of 13.4+, it seems device standard always change in every updates.

Thanks!

Hey Rad, thanks for your reply. That’s fine, it saves me spending ages trying to fix something that can’t be fixed! Time to move on!

Thanks again.

You’re welcome, Shaun!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.