Upgraded to 6.1.7 - All Existing Layouts Now Blank

Figured we’d wait until a few weeks of point releases were out and the bugs would be resolved but it appears a huge bug from 6.0 is still present.

Upon upgrading to 6.1.7, all of our existing saved layouts are gone. They are still listed in cornerstone, but when you go to edit them they are all blank (asks if we want to Start from scratch, template, etc.). How do we get our layouts back??

Hello @co50,

Thanks for writing to us.

I tried to access your site dashboard but the given login details are not working on my end. Please recheck and send us again. I would suggest you troubleshoot a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing for Plugin Conflict
  2. CSS/JS Customization
  3. Version Compatibility
  4. Disabling Cache
  5. Child Theme

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copy your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin-level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Just re-enter the login details on the screen that gives you the cookie message. We already conducted numerous tests to pinpoint Pro as the one and only cause - the issue occurs with no plugin active. Like I said, our pre-existing layouts are all gone - so it’s not a mere cosmetic issue.

Hello @co50,

We may suggest that you contact your hosting provider and ask them if they can use the server backup to revert the changes to your site. If you have an idea as to what exactly the time you have updated to 6.1.7, your hosting provider should be able to use the server backup to revert back to the time before you have updated to the Pro 6.1.7. This is the fastest route. We also recommend that updates should be tested in a staging site first before doing it to the live site to prevent any issues.

Best Regards.

Are you serious? I’m trying to get help for a bug in your software and you’re telling me to restore to the prior version…? How does this help me fix the problem? Do I just never upgrade to 6.x??

Hey @co50,

I am just worried because the issue is in your live site. And if this is a bug, your users might experience these issues. That is why I was suggesting to revert back the update changes first. Normally, updates should be tested in a staging area. If there are issues, troubleshooting can be done in the staging area without disrupting the live site. When the issues are resolved or there are no issues, then the updates can be done on the live site. We have tested the Pro 6.1.7 in our Demo Testing sites and we did not have encountered such issues. We recommend that you clone your site to a staging area and provide us with your WP Access and the names of the layout (if you can remember) so we can investigate the issue further. This could be a conflict or that the layouts have been corrupted in your WP install.

Thank you for your understanding.

We can’t set up staging for this website because it is enormous in size (files-wise) and our hosting account doesn’t support such large storage. We’ve rarely ever had an issue where a plugin or theme update was that poorly done that it broke a major part of the site - but in the rare case it happened, restoring the database and the old version of the plugin/them always reverted the issue. But Themeco has the double whammy of being buggy AND breaking any possibility of reverting back to the prior version.

The layouts work just fine in 5.x and then upon updating to 6.x they are all gone - still listed but with nothing in them. Our hope was that Pro has a diverse enough user base that this would have come up a few times, been investigated, and fixed. But it’s still happening. I guess we can backup and download our templates before the update and then update and try to import them, but that won’t help you fix the issue. That will resolve OUR issue but you’re left with a theme that still destroys its own content upon update.

If you go back to Pro5 with working layouts and data and send it to us we’ll be able to run migrations and make sure your Pro6 migration will work properly. It will help us greatly so we can see what happens between Pro5 - Pro6. This is the reality of the content being gone. If the app can’t find it and is showing you empty layouts it’s almost always gone which is why we are trying to get you to revert back just so we can go through the issue on our end.

If you want to know why this happened at all. We changed the post_type for layouts for each layout to have it’s own post_type. That’s all that happens for migration of layouts, and I’ve seen plugins like WPML completely throw a wrench into that so we have to go through all cases unfortunately in this Pro5 - Pro6 upgrade. It’s super unfortunate this has happened to you, and I agree I think we have a diverse enough customer base where we could have seen this happen again and fixed it if it was happening a bunch. Let me know where your heads at, bottom line is reverting your site to Pro5 will help us recover those layouts and help us get a proper migration for you.

Charlie,

Thanks for the explanation and your helpful response. We did revert back to 5.x on this site. I backed up our layouts and wanted to see your response first. If you want to get in there, go ahead. It’s on 5.1.x.

1 Like

Okay the username password combo were not working for me. Can you update or create the credentials so we can get in there?

If you get a cookie message, just enter the credentials again. They work.

Hi @co50,

I have checked with the credential provided in your previous reply and it is not working and showing the The username is not registered on this site.

I would suggest you please check and provide the latest credential once again.

Thanks

For me its sound more related to this issue:

And it seems it still not fixed!

1 Like

Apologies. When we restored the site back to 5.x it erased the login we created for you. We have recreated it. Go ahead and try now, and remember if you get a cookie error just retry the same login.

1 Like

So I ran an import from 5 to 6 on your with just your layouts and it was fine. It was an isolated test, but honestly there’s so many plugins here it’d be hard to know where to start and get you a quick solution. I also underestimated how large this site is so we might have to get creative, but push comes to shove I’ll upload the V6 version of your layouts to your site and I’ll send you an import file. Before we try V6 again, was there anything else wrong? Was it just the layout elements missing? What was the upgrade procedure? Just updated the theme from the WordPress ui? Similar to Regnalf’s issue you did have html content, however it was properly escaped in both versions. I’m also not sure what would strip that as we aren’t touching post_content in the migration, but I’ll check if there is a WordPress setting we need to force.

Appreciate you bearing with us, let’s get this handled soon.

Charlie,

We updated from the WordPress updates page which I assume is the proper way to update. I could not find anything else out of wack except for the layouts.

Okay thanks, should be fine then.
One question before we try Pro 6 again. Was this site ever an X site that got upgraded to Pro?

Nope this was always Pro.

Okay, how about we try this upgrade again next week? I’ve got your back if it fails again. See secure note.

Those are all the layouts. But this is holding us up now because we want to create some new layouts and modify others but no idea when this update is happening. So the sooner the better. Thanks.