Updating site breaks them (X classic)

Hi there, I have several older X sites that have been successfully updating the theme and Cornerstone without issues for several years. This month they will not update without breaking the site appearance on the frontend. It appears that Cornerstone tools stop working.

I’m running WP 5.8 on these sites and they are all using X classic. One example is https://snowicesalt.com/ but I have several that are having the same issue. I’ve always run simple updates through WP dashboard. I’m not a coder, just a designer so I’m hoping there is a simple fix. Can you help please?

I will send login information in a secure note.

Thanks!
Dawn Krueger
New Sky

Hello, @newskywebsites,

Thanks for writing to us.

I checked your site it seems that your site is working fine. It might be the issue of browser cache at your end. I would suggest you clear your browser cache and then check it again. If the issue still persists please let us know the exact page URL and marking screenshot.

Thanks

Correct, my site is working fine because I restored a back up. Once the theme and Cornerstone are updated, the site breaks. I can’t keep it broken waiting for tech support. Please try updating it to see how it breaks. This is a problem on all my X classic sites…

Thanks,
Dawn

Hello Dawn,

We would highly recommend that you create a staging site. The staging site is very useful because you can test drive any X updates in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed with the update on the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:

Please clone your site in a staging site so that we can apply the updates on the staging area. We would love to investigate your issue which seems to have been caused by your child theme especially if you have added customizations and custom template files in the child theme. Please provide us access to your staging site so we can check the issue. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your staging site
– WP Staging login URL
– WP Staging username
– WP Staging password
– WP Staging Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

I am sending you login information on a secure note. Please remember, this is an issue that applies to multiple sites. There must be a bigger-than-one-site issue going on here. THANKS!

Hi Dawn,

Unfortunately, the staging server URL is not accessible and showing an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error. I would suggest you check once and let us know once it is ready to access.

Thanks

You have my permission to try an update (and break) the live site. Just email me asap if you can’t fix it after you update the site and it breaks and I’ll restore a backup.

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I have checked and updated the X theme by following the below steps, and it seems working fine. Please let me know if you find a further issues with this.

1. Delete the Cornerstone
  2. Update the X theme to the latest version on automatic updates
  3. After the X theme is updated, use the link in the dashboard to automatically install the Cornerstone. It will be at the latest version

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.