Updating Pro from very old versions

I have two clients running older versions of Pro. We have no maintenance agreement in place with these clients, so no one has been updating their sites. They have now come to me wanting changes, but I have concerns about how outdated their versions of Pro are.

One site is running Pro version 2.4.6 and the other is running Pro version 3.2.3. What is going to happen if I jump from versions this old, to the latest version? I am very concerned about making a mess of these live websites.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Hello @mcaravaglia,

Thanks for writing in! There should not be any problems with the update. If he is using a child theme and has made some customizations, it may need some tweaking. We would highly recommend that you create a staging site. This is very useful because you can test drive any X updates in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed with the update on the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:

Best Regards.

Thank you Reunel

Hi @mcaravaglia,

You are most welcome.

Having made the update to a staging site, per your suggestion, it appears the updated version of Pro has reverted back to using Cornerstone in the WP Dashboard? Is that correct?

Hello @mcaravaglia,

After the update of the Pro theme, your dashboard would look like this, there would Pro menu and Cornerstone menu. Please have a look at the given screenshot below.
Dashboard-‹-TEST-—-WordPress (1)

In the last major release, we have separated the Pro and the Cornerstone, which was previously integrated within the theme. Now you can find the Validation and other Bundled plugin settings under the Pro menu and builder-related options under the Cornerstone menu.
You can find more details in the following articles.

https://www.facebook.com/yourthemeco/posts/4029224620507666

Thanks

Thank you. This will take some getting used to- looks quite different.

HI @mcaravaglia,

You’re welcome! If you have any other concerns or clarification regarding our theme features, feel free to open up a new thread.

Thank you.

The saga continues (sorry). So, I created a staging site on Bluehost and updated Pro to the newest version. For some reason, the Home page background changed from black to white. However, when I go into the page builder, it is spec’d correctly as #000 and appears in black in the Page builder.

I tried creating a new page and added a single section. I colored the section to #000 and in the page builder, it shows as black. Then, when you go to the “live” staging site, it shows as white. I have no idea what this is about. Other than that, there are only very minor fixes to the site after the update.

The staging site is https://rolloffjoe.com/staging/6482 and there’s still an Admin login for you.

Hello @mcaravaglia,

Please provide us access to your staging site so we can investigate this issue further. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Thank you in advance.

Good day. I just sent the Admin login credentials for you.

Hello @mcaravaglia,

I tried to access your site but it seems that your site is down at the moment, I would suggest you please contact your hosting provider to fix it and let us know.

Thanks

I am not seeing the site as being down. Please try again. I am in the Admin panel now.

Hi @mcaravaglia,

It took me some time to find the culprit of your website issue. It was in your header builder logo, you added the wrong inline CSS.

That code breaks the generated CSS and that’s the reason why the background color is not showing properly on the live website. I went ahead and remove it for you then it is now working properly on the live website.

Hope that helps.

Wow. You are awesome. Thank you so much!
It is interesting that it appeared fine until I updated the version of Pro.

Hi @mcaravaglia,

You’re welcome and it’s our pleasure to help you! If you have any other concerns or clarifications regarding our theme features, feel free to open up a new thread.

Thank you.

Hey @mcaravaglia,

You have withdrawn your latest post response. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to open another thread.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.