Sites crash when switching to php 8.0

Hi, hoping you can please help.

I’ve disabled all plugins on 3 different sites, but they still crash when switching to php 8.

Next, I disabled all plugins, and switched the theme to “twenty twenty three” on one of the sites. The site did NOT crash.

Then (with all plugins still disabled), I switched to the parent Pro, and the site crashed. So, both parent and child Pro themes crash when I switch to php 8. They only appear to work with php 7.4…?

On all sites tested, everything was first updated to the latest, and I have made sure that all modules are installed.

Here are the sites that I tested today: unitydoves.com, bluemonster.ca, ironwedgegolf.com

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you :slight_smile:

Hey Tina,

Thanks for reaching out!

When you update one of your sites to PHP 8, do you see what the errors are? If not, you can enable the WP debugger so that we will have a hint of where the issue is coming from. You can check this article on how you can allow the WP debug.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your response, @marc_a! I enabled debug, and here is what it comes up with. Hopefully this helps…??? screenshot|690x101

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi Tina,

It seems that the PHP memory has been exhausted. ​We recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );    

Please find the video that will help you to edit wp-config.php and add the above code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDPTafEM8o
If that does not help, please copy your live site to a staging server so we could troubleshoot freely without breaking your live site.
And give us access in the secure note including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

Thank you @tristup! Unfortunately, adding those lines didn’t help. I’ll set up a staging site and get back to you…

Hello Tina,

To better assist you with your issue, please provide us access to your site. We would love to investigate this issue further. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Hi @ruenel! I’ve got it figured out now. @tristup was right about the memory, but it was the memory on the server that needed increasing. Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.
Please do not hesitate to create another thread if you need any other assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.