Pro Slow Menu Editing

Hi all,

I’m finding editing the menus with the Pro theme activated is very slow. I have updated the PHP memory limits on both the server and the wp-config.php.

I have a staging site with all plugins disabled and as soon as I go to the default Wordpress theme it comes back to life instantly. I’ve tried both the Child and Pro themes both with the same extreme slowness.

If anyone can provide help I would appreciate it.

Hello @blainemtntech,

Thanks for writing in!

Do you have several menu items? Most of the time, if you have more than 20 menu items, WordPress will become slower in loading the items in Appearance > Menus. To get this resolve, you need to increase your PHP input max value and the PHP maximum execution limit. You may need to check out this links:

If nothing is helping, provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks. Checking it out now.

Edit: I do have more than 20 items in the menu.

Hi @blainemtntech,

Thank you for reaching out.

I tried to login in your WP admin dashboard but it seems the credentials you provided in your secure note is not working, please update us with the right credentials so that we can help you about your concern.

Thank you.

Shoot… sorry about that. I’ve updated those.

Hello @blainemtntech,

Your current max_input_vars is only 2500. Please have it increase to 5000.

Check the secure note to know the PHP values your server is current configured.

Best Regards.

Increased to 5000. No noticeable change yet. Should I go even higher?

Thanks for that tip, I was wondering how I would check them on my own. I have seen that before, but it has been a long time.

Hello @blainemtntech,

Because you have 39 menu items, it will take a while to load the page simply because a loop has to go through for each of this menu items to insert all the necessary menu metadata. You may need to take a few seconds to be able to fully load the page.

Hope this helps.

Okay. Pro must add lots of extra metadata then since it loads and functions essentially instantly?

Appreciate your time responding.
Nick

Hi Nick,

This is actually a common issue with WordPress when you do have a lot of menu items, the culprit could be vary.

The issue you’re facing could be related to this thread: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/x-menu-js-error/39960/15. If you’re using Pro, please follow the workaround in case you’re not using icons in navigation elements.

Or it could be a browser-related issue: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/menu-admin-panel-nav-menus-php-page-is-extremely-slow/

Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.