POSTS: Layout Builder V.S. Template: Blank - NO CONTAINER | Header, Footer

REQUIREMENT: The ability to uniquely layout each POST using Cornerstone. Yes, each post needs to be custom designed in Cornerstone, just like PAGES are each uniquely designed in Cornerstone.

Historically this has been done by adding the “Blank - NO CONTAINER | Header, Footer” template to the child theme but for posts. I’ve seen several statements from Themeco saying that this can now be done using the Layout Builder. However, it seems that the Layout Builder is only for dynamically inserting the content from the WP Editor to give all blog posts the same look.

I’ve created a blank layout in the Layout Builder and assigned it to “All Singular”. However, that prevents manually editing the posts layout using Cornerstone.

So am I correct that the only way to custom layout each post is to use the OLD method and not the Layout Builder?

Hello @justusblack,

Thanks for writing in!

Please be advised that the “Blank - No Container | Header, Footer” is a page template. This does not apply to the post items. The Layout Builder allows you to create a custom single layout similar to the “Blank - No Container | Header, Footer” so that you can easily design each of the post items in Cornerstone Builder and then it will be displayed using the custom single layout.

Hope this makes sense.

From what I can see in your documentation and videos, the Layout Builder does not give you the ability to custom build each individual Posts via the Cornerstone editor. Do you have any documentation or examples that shows how to use Layout Editor to replicate the function of the “Blank - No Container | Header, Footer” template on Posts?

Hey @justusblack,

Please be advised that the Cornerstone builder is composed of the following:

• Page or Content Builder - to create a page, post or custom post type
  • Header Builder
  • Footer Builder
  • Single Layout Builder - to create a page or post layout
  • Archive Layout Builder - to create an archive layout
  • Component Builder - for making a global component

Now, if you are not able to edit or create a post in the builder, you MUST go to Cornerstone > Settings > Permissions > Administrator and enable “Posts”.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 140228

Kindly let us know how it goes.

That’s not what I’m asking about. Here’s a new POST being edited in Cornerstone. See that box-shadow container the cornerstone content is forced inside of?

Does Layout Builder offer a way to create a 100% full width layout for POSTS that functions exactly like the “Blank - No Container | Header, Footer” template does on PAGES?

I know how to do this by adding a POST template file the child theme, just curious of Layout Builder can do this.

Here’s a PAGE with a full width layout (no container, no box-shadow). POSTS should look like this too.

OK, I found a way to make POSTS be 100% width using Layout Builder. I don’t know if this is how you guys intended it to be done, but it seems to work.

1. Create a “Single Layout” using Layout Builder. I named mine “POSTS: Blank - No Container | Header, Footer”
  2. Assign it to POSTS
  3. In the builder, add a Section (remove all paddings and margins), add a Row (uncheck “Global Container”), add a Column, then add Cornerstone’s “The Content” Element.

All POSTS will now use this 100% width layout as it’s container, just like a PAGE uses the “Blank - No Container | Header, Footer” template. Is this how you guys intended the Layout Builder to be used?

hacking-cornerstone

Hello @justusblack,

Yes, you can use the Layout builder to create a custom single post layout. You can create any layout for your single posts with the help of the layout builder. In case you have not seen the layout builder documentation please have a look at it.

Hope it helps
Thanks

Prakash - yes, I’ve been through the entire Layout Builder documentation. But notice the second paragraph of the documentation states “Remember that you are designing the layouts to your website. These layouts are designed once and then repeated across the context in which they are assigned.

What I’m talking about is the best practice (with Cornerstone) for having POSTS function exactly like the PAGE template “Blank - No Container | Header, Footer”. From what I can tell, there’s two different ways to do this.

1. The Layout Builder I mentioned above using The Content element.
  2. The old way of creating a template in the child theme for posts.

Does Themeco have a recommend method for this specific 100% width layout? If so, I can’t find it in the documentation.

Hello @justusblack,

What you just did is what I was saying in my first reply. You will have to:

1. Create a “Single Layout” using Layout Builder, you named it as“POSTS: Blank - No Container | Header, Footer”

2. You have assigned it to POSTS already.

3. In the builder, add a Section (remove all paddings and margins), add a Row (uncheck “Global Container ” AND DO NOT FORGET TO SET THE WIDTH AND MAXIMUM WIDTH TO 100%), add a Column, then add Cornerstone’s “The Content” Element.

4. Once the above steps are done, create a post or edit a post in Cornerstone. You should have the “POSTS: Blank - No Container | Header, Footer” for your post item.

If you are still not sure, please provide us access to your site so we can check your layout and create an example too. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.