oEmbed Video Header

Hi there!

I’m trying to do an advanced custom field for a website where they are wanting to use a video header in the hero image based on post. I have created custom post types as well as the ACP fields for an oEmbed video; however, when I go to put in the oEmbed video, nothing shows up. I need to be able to have the post’s featured image as the poster image, but I need the autoplay video header. Is there a way to do this?

Hello Marc,

Thanks for writing in!

Please use the Video type so that you can select the featured image dynamic content as your poster image. When selecting the video, you can use the ACF dynamic content too.

We would be happy to check your video header if you kindly provide us your login details. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

thank you! this is what I was trying to do, but it just doesn’t want to work. I’ll add the secure note here. I’m building out this design in Layouts.

Hey Marc,

Though my colleague’s suggestion of using the Video Player is correct, it will not work with oEmbed output and it will not work with Youtube’s Video URL.

The Video Player works for self-hosted videos. Self hosted video URLs end in the video file extentions like https://example.com/video.mp4.

Since you need the Video Player because you need the Poster Image, you must self-host your videos. There’s no other option.

One of the ways you can self-host videos is by uploading them to your WordPress Media Library and using the Text or URL field of ACF to output them as Dynamic Content in the Video URL field in the Video Player element.

The best option is to use a video hosting service like Vimeo which will allow you access to the video directly again like https://vimeo.com/video.mp4.

Hope that helps and thank you for understanding.

so to confirm, I can’t use YouTube, but I can put them EITHER directly into the backend of my Wordpress website or use Vimeo?

Hello Marc,

In order to set the video in the background, you can not use a Youtube video. You can insert the Youtube video in the WordPress page/post content through the Gutenberg WordPress or Cornerstone page builder with the help of the Video element

Please have a look at the doc of the Video element.

Gutenberg WordPress

Hope it helps
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.