Newest Pro update not working - Still getting a 502 error

My website has been giving me 502 errors ever since the WordPress 6.2 update. I’ve tried removing my old version of Pro and uploading the newest version using FTP. It wasn’t successful, and I still don’t have access to the backend of my website. I’ve tried nearly every fix I’ve seen listed on this forum:

• Removing Pro entirely and trying to load a default theme

• Using Pro 5.1.5, and adding the suggested “return;” to line 260 in cornestone.php

• Disabling plugins

• Attempted to but was not successful in entering recovery mode on my website (edited wp-config to try and force send an email with a recovery mode link)

None of these things seemed to make any difference, since my website is still giving me 502 errors. (And I have been clearing my cache as well…still no success.) There is still no way for me to access the backend of my site. Is there something I’m missing, here?

Okay you can’t even get into the dashboard with the default theme? I would try adding in WP_DEBUG and seeing what you are getting. Maybe with WordPress 6.2 you need some more RAM on this server.

Yeah, I can’t even get into the dashboard, lol. How would I add WP_DEBUG?

You can edit wp-config.php directly through your server (SSH or SFTP).

So I must really be doing something wrong, here, because debug.log isn’t populating. I added

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, true );
define( ‘WP_DEBUG_LOG’, true );

to wp-config just before /*That’s all, stop editing! Happy publishing! */

Am I going about the debug the wrong way?

Hey Kathryn,

It would be best if you can provide us with FTP access so that we can check on your issue properly. Please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Access

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

Thank you so much! I added a secure note with the info you requested.

Hey @kathrynlewis703,

Even if we rename the plugins folder and also the Pro theme, Error 502 still persists.

This means that no plugin or the Pro theme caused the issue. You may need to contact your hosting provider for further assistance about the issue as it may relate to a server problem. Meanwhile, please check this out:

Best Regards.

Thank you so much for your help! I contacted my hosting service and they were able to fix the problem.

You are most welcome, @kathrynlewis703.

Kathryn,
Here what you do,

1. Manual clean install of wordpress 6.1.
  2. Change php version to kill the script that is running the endless loop. Most hosting will charge you to do this. It literally one click in the php settings or cpanel.
  3. Then you should have access to update the pro theme
    then update wordpress to 6.2

Side note if ou have a backup of the site with 6.1 you can just do back then proceed to 2. or 3 if you have the endless loop

Hey @keekee360design,

Thanks for sharing your ideas, we really appreciate your input.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.