Masthead (logo and navbar) not appearing in X child theme

I downloaded the child theme and am using the Renew stack. When I activate the child theme, the logo and nav bar do not appear. Everything else seems fine. Switching back to the parent X theme shows them again.

I created a child theme so I can make some changes to the and masthead. It seems that some of the code was refactored so I’m having trouble finding relevant support suggestions. I don’t have a /views/global/_header.php for example, but I do see one under /framework/legacy/cranium/headers/views/global/.

I do see that views/header/base.php does work if I copy it into the child theme and make changes there, but there’s no masthead appearing.

More head-scratching:

The site isn’t affected if I edit the parent theme’s framework/views/header/base.php file. But if I edit the same file in the child theme it works as expected. I’m getting pretty convinced that there’s a code discrepancy here between the X theme and the child theme I downloaded. The X-theme I have is 5.1.0 and the X – Child Theme I downloaded is 1.0.0

I’ve reverted back to using the parent theme. Here’s what I found:

At least in my theme, I had to make some edits to the logo output (added a tagline) and I had to add Google Tag Manager scripts to the <head> and just inside the <body>

The tagline was added by editing /x/framework/legacy/cranium/headers/views/global/_brand.php

The Google scripts where added by editing /x/framework/legacy/cranium/headers/views/global/_header.php

I’m aware that I can’t now update the theme because I’ll lose my edits, so I’m hoping someone can help me resolve the problem with the child theme. If I need to change to Pro I can do that too.

Hi There,

Thank you for writing in, is there any chance that you edited the parent theme prior to this? In any case please download and install a new copy of x- child theme here.

Then make sure you activate it under Appearance > Themes, maybe this was the issue that is why the child theme did not work because you forgot the activate it.

Then move all your customization to child theme. And then update or re-install your parent X Theme to make sure it is clean.

As you already know the file _header.php and _brand.php are moved on this \x\framework\legacy\cranium\headers\views\global directory, re-create that directory on your child theme by creating the non-existing folders.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

Thank you! The new copy worked, and we updated to 5.1.1 which may have had something to do with it.

Since these files are inside a directory called “legacy” something tells me that there are some breaking changes coming at some point.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! Glad it works out for you. We have made a big change in the template and this is why there is a legacy folder. These changes can be found in Pro theme. There is the header builder which you can re design the header more easily. And the legacy folder serves as the default header when you are not using any custom header.

Hope this explains it briefly.