Lose blocks post page to cornerstone?

I’ve been reading through the forum - by what I’ve seen, there’s no way to convert a blocks post page to a cornerstone page? I have years of blog posts - these will just have to disappear? Is there a new 2021 workaround? Thanks, Lea

Hello Lea,

Thanks for writing in!

Please be advised that a post is different from a page. You cannot convert a post into a page.

Be advised that only pages or posts that were created with Cornerstone can be edited with Cornerstone. Any page or post created using the WordPress WP Editor (or Gutenberg) cannot be edited with Cornerstone. Any existing page or post contents will be discarded if you edit it with Cornerstone which is why you will only see a blank canvas in the Cornerstone page builder.

If you upgrade to the Pro theme, you will have the ability to change the post page layout by utilizing the Layout Builder.

When creating a custom single layout, all of your blog posts can use the newly created single layout. The only will change and still if the contents were added using the Gutenberg blocks, it will still remain intact.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes - I do know posts aren’t pages :slight_smile: I am now simply trying to get posts to post to my posts “page.”

I have done the Dashboard > Settings > Reading. Voila - I have one post. But I can’t add to it. When I go to the WP “Add Post” it brings up Gutenburg. If I create a post in Page Builder, I just get a post that goes nowhere. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Lea

Hello Lea,

Please go to Dashboard > Settings > Reading > Your homepage displays and assign the “Articles” page as your Posts Page. When you visit the Articles page, all your posts should be displayed because this will now be your blog index.

If this is not helping, we would love to check your site settings. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

I had also assigned Articles as my blog posts. Will reply in secure note.

Hi Lea,

As my colleague said, you can’t edit existing posts using the cornerstone builder. If you want to convert your existing post using the cornerstone builder, you should do it from scratch.

On the other hand, I see that you created a test post using the cornerstone builder. Please keep in mind that while editing your post inside the cornerstone builder, I recommend that when you apply any edits, just do it inside the builder because if you try to edit outside the cornerstone builder it might remove all your builder data.

Hope that helps.

I understand that I can’t edit existing posts using the cornerstone builder. That’s not what I’m trying to do. How do I get Cornerstone posts to populate as blog posts on my “page” for blog posts?

I’ve tried using the Page Builder and get nowhere.

Hi Lea,

You don’t need to edit a page to have a blog index page, you just need to create a page then set that as the Posts Page, under Settings > Reading

As you can see on this screenshot, you did not assign any Posts Page.

I did go ahead and created a page titled “Blog” and assign that as your Posts Page

https://ourfamilylines.ca/blog/

Cheers,

I had done that - I called it Articles, not blog. Not sure why it disappeared. However, I just changed the name from “blog” to Articles and it has disappeared again. Do I have to keep “blog” as the name?

Hi Lea,

No, it does not necessary to be named “Blog”, I did go ahead and deleted that “Blog” page, and create another page named “Articles” and set it as the Posts Page.

Cheers,

Thanks - I feeling not very bright since I can’t populate my “articles” with content. I use the content builder to create a “post” but it won’t post. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Lea,

Not sure what you are trying to do here? The page set as a Post can’t be edited. If you are editing the Posts using the Cornerstone and the content is not visible in the Article page that might be due to the excerpt which removes all shortcodes and HTML from the content.
If that is not the case and you are trying to point out something else, please provide any screenshot marked with the issue or any video that helps us to recognize the problem.

Thanks

two

Thanks for your help.

Hello Lea,

When you use the Cornerstone Content builder to create your post, nothing will display in your blog index because the blog index cannot detect the contents created in the content builder. To be able to get around this, you will need to do the following:
1.) You will need to insert a Manual Excerpt:

2.) And then you will also need to manually add a featured image.

3.) Hit the “Update” button to save your changes.

The Articles page will then display the featured image and the excerpt of you post as shown below:

Hope this makes sense.

Worked! Many thanks.

You are most welcome Lea.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.