Linkable Layout Elements + Interaction Chaining Discussion

Hi everyone,

Since we don’t have docs yet, I wanted to provide a few notes on the subject of adding links to your layout elements and how that interacts with things like effects and interactions. Here’s a rough outline of what’s possible with these changes.

• Layout Elements are: Section, Row, Column, Grid, Cell, and Div
  • Inspect any Layout element and you can now change the tag to <a> which will reveal a link control. (Because nested anchors are invalid HTML, this introduces routines to remove nested anchor tags and replace them with divs or spans depending on the context.)
  • When inspecting a Layout element, go to the Effects controls and you can enable Link Child Interactions. This will cause hover interactions to propagate down and trigger different kinds of interactions on child elements.
  • Most element color pickers have been updated with a version that supports both a Base and Interaction color. You’ll see both colors side-by-side in the color picker when interaction colors are enabled.
  • Headlines also have a link option now, but it wraps the tag instead of changing the base tag.
  • When Particles is enabled, it also links the button colors. We haven’t decoupled this yet as it’s a but more involved, but intend to before the official release.

Try it out and let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

Hey @alexander - maybe I’m being blind, I can do up to your 4th point fine although I then can’t see any elements that have additional options?
I know you said in the previous post I made that you can’t do background layers yet, though background colours would be amazing for when you hover over a column!

@RubberDuckers it is in the effects section

Cheers @scotbaston - sorry meant from point 5 I couldn’t do! Found that Link Child Interactions but couldn’t see what it changed after

1 Like

I think, and I may well be wrong that hovering on the parent triggers the child interactions if those are set (as in my screenshot)

That’s the bit that I can’t see anywhere, all of the elements within don’t seem to have an additional colour picker for interaction.

like this?

the interaction is part of the colour picker now

Ah there we go! Thanks. I was expecting it next to it like the buttons used to be, but now I notice that its within it on those too!
Thanks @scotbaston!

1 Like

My pleasure, it took me a while to find it initially

And actually kinda solves the point I made about changing column background colours - as long as you don’t have it as one of the layers.
I was trying to get these cards to change colour but was looking in the advanced upper/lower layers as I had the colour as lower and image as upper. Though don’t need the colour as lower as it takes the base colour which is changeable on the interaction.

1 Like

Glad you found it! Regretfully the background layers is one area we don’t have interactive styles. It’s not as straightforward to add with the others, and it would be harder to keep parity because of the other background types. We might revisit this when we start looking into adding a gradient option for backgrounds.

3 Likes

Hey @alexander - As many up-votes as I can provide for gradient backgrounds functionality in the next release :smiley:

Cheers,
Sam

1 Like

Thanks Sam!