Lighthouse VS Pro

Hello Themeco,
There’s a big focus on Core Web Vitals lately, especially when using LightHouse to test.
Most issues come from plugins / embeds, but we wondered if there was any plan to improve the native features of Pro in that sense?

For exemple, it generates a lot of DOM elements and seems to omit certain attributes that are important for the score. Overall, it’s already pretty good, but if you have any more info, it would help us sell your tech better when people compare you with competitors.

Have a good weekend!

1 Like

Hello @magikweb,

Thanks for writing in! At the moment, Lighthouse has not been officially supported. This is something we can add to our list of feature requests. This way it can be taken into consideration for future development. All of these items are discussed with our team internally and prioritized based on the amount of interest a particular feature might receive.

Cheers.

Your efforts in building in new features into Pro really pushed the theme to the best page builder for me. I really would love to continue using Pro.
In the last few days I tried to optimize the CSS and JS myself but failed miserably because of the complex structure. My customers really put the focus on pagespeed now. Mostly because of SEO reasons. Pro has a huge overhead in unused code. The problem got bigger with the last few feature updates of Pro.

In most cases the only option would be to implement AMP. But personally i dislike that approach, what puts me in the situation to look around for other solutions, to keep my customers on top of Googles search results.

Please look into this. The announced Google algorithm updates will penalize bad measurements in Core Web Vitals. Pro lacks in this two:
Largest Contentful Paint (LCP)
First Input Delay (FID)

3 Likes

looking forward to more speed optimisation of the theme for seo. it’s a hard job, but worth it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback.

I’ll add my voice to this request. Pagebuilders in general get a bad rap for page speed and optimization. If you can figure out how to overcome that in Pro, you’ll win the market!

1 Like

Your feedback has been noted.

Yeah there is a lot that Pro theme is doing great and even things like moving things to natively support in the theme do improve performance as well. I think without getting into the performance area too much like previous mentioned having a way to reduce DOM elments would be great. Maybe something in theme settings under Miscellaneous with toggles for all the auto generate classes that the theme doesn’t use by are generated so that if you want to specific something with css you can easily do it.

e.g. this is body classes I have home page-template page-template-template-blank-4 page-template-template-blank-4-php page page-id-20 x-integrity x-integrity-light x-child-theme-active x-full-width-layout-active x-full-width-active x-page-title-disabled x-portfolio-meta-disabled pro-v4_2_3 some for the template seem to be duplicate not sure if either are used just there incase want to apply to this template specifically. Multiple referencing

• integrity stack choosen
  • full width layout
  • mentioning it is a page template
    Removing the duplicates and only using one would reduce this by a third.

Disabled features like header and meta thought this would be controlled at php server level removing that guess added incase you want to use special css for these but having option to not push these to dom would be great. And then options for turning off not pushing the page id and slug to dom would be great so if you don’t use these for css then it is fine since most handled on php server level. Maybe even make a note letting people know it can break css or javascription looking for these classes. Then under general page setting under where you select template you could have an emtpy field for classes and id that if someone wants to add say back a class specific for a page they can do it via this.

Obviously this example is just for the body DOM picked because that is often the largest DOM. So maybe just starting with these options for large DOMs at first would be great. And adds some performance improvements without hopefully getting to complicated or into the performance areas as I know there are other plugins focusing on things like CSS shaking and JS shaking that need to take into account plugins and think no need you going down that path.

Thanks again this is just some thoughts put into text.

1 Like

I cannot agree enough with what has already been said and want to add my voice to this request also.

Just to add with what has already been said, maybe added Optimization either as a panel or an X-Theme related plugin that has been designed with X and Cornerstone specifically in mind.

Hi @quentosity,

Thank you for the detailed write up. We certainly appreciate your feedback and it has been noted.

@mode500 thank you for your input.

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to followup on this thread to let you know performance has definitely been on our minds.

• For the responsive styling update, we’re writing a whole new generated CSS engine. Our hope is to make it faster, and reduce overall site of the generated CSS output.
  • We’re on a path to drop IE11 support which will reduce the size of the javascript bundles provided with the theme.
  • For the Theme Options reboot, you will see a much leaner set of base styles.

There’s plenty of opportunity to improve performance, but in some areas if we force things to try to squeeze out a bit more, it hinders other things we can do in the feature set and risks breaking compatibility. Hopefully in the months to come we’ll be rounding some corners in these areas.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.