Issue with menu button in Pro/Cornerstone after upgrading to WordPress 5.9

We are having an odd issue with the menu button in Cornerstone with Pro theme (Version 5.1.4) after upgrading to WordPress 5.9. After editing and saving a page, the menu button no longer works. We have to use the hamburger menu, select Page Builder, and select a page. Nothing happens when you try and click the menu button (indicated by the red X).
2022-02-15 09_37_35-About - Page Builder - Pro
We have confirmed this on 3 separate sites and it’s only happening after we upgrade to 5.9. We do not appear to be having this on sites with X theme.

Hello @dtsui,

Thanks for writing to us.

It might be the issue of version compatibility. Please make sure your theme, plugins, WordPress, and the PHP version are updated as per our version compatibility page. I would suggest you please purge all the cache. I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copy your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hello, we have done the following:
N/A since this only happens in Cornerstone - 1. [Testing For Theme Related Issue]
:white_check_mark: Deactivating all plugins did not resolve the issue - 2. [Testing For Plugin Conflict]
:white_check_mark: At latest version - 3. [Theme Update]
:white_check_mark: Same issue/child theme has no customizations - 4. [Child Theme]
:white_check_mark: Same behavior removing custom CSS. No custom JS code exists - 5. [Css/Js Customization]
N/A Builder does not freeze - 6. [Increasing Php Memory Limit]
N/A there is no caching - 7. [Disabling Cache]
N/A no CDN - 8. [Disabling Cdn]
N/A 404 errors are not the issue - 9. [Permalinks]
:x: This is an issue when we upgrade to version 5.9, the newest release of WordPress. This ONLY happens after we upgrade. When will Pro be considered compatible with version 5.9? - 10. [Version Compatibility]

Hello @dtsui,

I am another staff checking in. I cannot replicate the issue on my local testing server.

Please check out this video screencast.

Can you please indicate which browser and the the version of your OS and Browser so that I will try and use the same on my local test server.

Thank you.

Hello. This only happens after we make changes to a page and save it. Before that the button works fine. After a refresh of the page the button works fine again. This was discovered on a Windows 10 machine, running in Chrome 98.0.4758.82.

Thank you!

Hello @dtsui,

I have checked it on my end it is working fine at my place. I have checked it on Google Chrome Version 98.0.4758.102. Please share your admin login details so that we can check it at our end.

Thanks

So after you make an edit and save it, it works ok? I just want to verify that we are getting the same behavior. This only happens after we save edits in the page builder.

We cannot share login information because all of our test sites site behind VPN only access.

Thanks!

Hi @dtsui,

It will be very difficult to replicate your issue at our end. If it is not possible to share the admin credential, please copy your live site to a staging server with the exact setup you have in your live server? So we could troubleshoot freely without breaking your live site and will try to recognize the problem behind this.
And please provide login credentials for your staging site in a secure note to examine it further, including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

The two sites that we have upgraded are only in test, they have not gone live yet. Again, all of our test servers are behind VPN only access so no, we cannot copy the site to test. We have only upgraded test servers to flush out potential issues before we upgrade the production sites.

Hi @dtsui,

It seems that the issue might be occurring at your machine only. I would suggest you check in another machine in the same network if the same issue persists we need to investigate your website. Without investigation, we may not be able to tell you anything further.

Thanks

Hi, it is most definitely not just my machine. I just had my team member confirm that it’s happening on her machine as well, which is iOS and Chrome version 96.0.4664.55. While we cannot allow you access to our test sites, we are happy to do a screen share with you to show you the problem. Again, this has been happening on 3 different sites that all run Pro (all most recent version) and only after an upgrade to WordPress 5.9. We can also share a screen recording of how the issue presents itself if that would help. Thanks!

Hi @dtsui,

It could be that the theme was corrupted during the upgrade. I suggest that you install a fresh copy of the latest version of Pro. You can find the files in your themeco dashboard.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

3 separate sites would have been corrupted during the upgrade? We have 3 entirely separate test sites all exhibiting the same behavior. Thanks!

Hello @dtsui,

Please create a staging site that we can have access to it so that we can test it. Meanwhile, please also check your browser. You may use private browsing mode or temporarily deactivate your browser extensions. In some case, you might to test your site using Chrome, Firefox, Brave, or MS Edge browser.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Hello,

Due to us being a State entity, we cannot create a test site for which to give you access to. However, these are the steps you can take to recreate the issue. We have tested in all major browsers and the behavior is the same regardless. This has also been replicated across 4 different sites now and on several machines. In addition, it has been tried in incognito mode and had the same results.

• In Cornerstone, go to the Page Builder
  • Select a page to edit
  • Select or add an element with text
  • Change the text
  • Save the changes
  • Try using the Page builder “button” to change pages

After a page reload, the button will work again. Until you do the steps again. Not everything causes this, it appears to be only when you edit and save a text-based element.

Thanks!

Hello @dtsui,

I followed the steps that you have mentioned at my end, it seems that the Page Builder button is working fine at my end. Please have a look at this video given in the secure note. I checked it on Google Chrome 98.0.4758.102 version.

Hope it helps
Thanks

We will do a screen recording tomorrow to show you. We are happy to do a screen share to allow you access to our environment, but that would be the only way we can.

Hello @dtsui,

Please share the screen recording and details of your installation.

Thanks

Hi, sorry for the delay. Here is the screen recording showing the bizarre behavior.

The details of our installation are:
PHP 7.4.21
WordPress 5.9.1
Pro theme 5.1.4
Pro child theme 1.0.0

We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Pro and the child theme and it has made no difference.

Thanks!

Hello @dtsui,

What browser are you using? Please make sure that it is also up to date. In your video, I am seeing “Update” on the upper right side of your browser. If you could test your site in Chrome or MS Edge and share it to us as well.

Thanks.