IE 11 Pro Menu Dropdown Non-Functional

We’re running the latest Pro (3.2.3). The main menu has 3 top level items, 2 of those have drop-down sub-menus. In IE 11 (v11.778.18362.0) the first drop down displays, but appears to the right instead of below the top level item, the last doesn’t display at all. This is for a local government assistance program and 40-50% of visitors still run IE so this needs to work in IE.

Hi @ehsd,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your site in IE11 and there is a JavaScript error I see in the console which seems like breaking the menu functionality. This could happen due to plugin or a script conflict, please check for the following first:

1. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

2. Remove custom CSS, JavaScript and deactivate your child theme and switch to parent theme (take a complete backup first before removing the codes).

3. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/docs/version-compatibility. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/docs/product-updates for more details.

4. If you’re using a caching plugin, clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugin and other optimization plugins. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

Let us know how this goes!

The Javascript error is a Cornerstone/Pro error:

SCRIPT438: Object doesn’t support property or method ‘assign’
cs.0ce70e6.js (1,41081)

https://contracostapa.org/wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/assets/dist/js/site/cs.0ce70e6.js

1. No plugin conflict

2. No conflicting custom JS/CSS. Switched to Pro parent theme with no change in issue and with the same errors in the console.

3. WP core, themes and plugins latest versions

4. Cloudflare cache cleared, dev mode enable, no change.

I see a bunch of HTML missing element errors in the console as well. These all are coming from Cornerstone/Pro footer menu builder. Footer consists of 2 bars, one with two containers and image/text elements. Text element only contains a anchor tag and line break. Errors are for unmatched end tags (div) on several lines.

Seems to be a Pro issue in the IE code. I saw another thread from a couple weeks ago with this exact issue where it was stated there is a IE issue with the current version of Pro.

I know IE is no longer a current browser, but many of us in the enterprise and government sectors still need to make sites that render correct in IE. THeme.co needs to make sure proper IE fallbacks for things like Flexbox and Grid are included.

Hi @ehsd,

We’re sorry you are having this issue. Yes this is a confirmed bug. A fixed will be available on the next release. Unfortunately, we cannot promise an ETA of the next release. Thank you for understanding.

If I roll back to the stable release, it fixes the menu bug, but introduces another one across all browsers. It looks like a cornerstone shortcode isn’t getting rendered. At the bottom of every page is a section surrounded with [cs_content_seo] [/cs_content_seo] that contains the text content of every section/column on the page. I’m guessing this is related to the code changes between Pro 3.2.3 and the stable release. Is there a workaround that can fix this while waiting for a menu fix? I’ve attached a screen shot.

Hi @ehsd,

Yes, that [cs_content_seo] shortcode is a new feature on the latest version. Please see the temporary workaround provided here. Please remember to remove this workaround when updating to the official release containing the fixed.

Cheers!

That didn’t work. Cleared caches, and it still appears.

Hi @ehsd,

If the solution provided on that thread does not work. I would strongly advise updating back to the latest version because that [cs_content_seo] shortcode is a new feature that only works with the latest version.

And let’s wait for the update that contains the fix for the IE menu-dropdown issue.

Thank you for understanding,

If I update to the latest, IE users can’t access all our pages due to the non-functioning menu. So we have a choice between the menu not functioning for IE users or having the [cs_content_seo] text visible.
Do you know what version the [cs_content_seo] was introduced? Was it 3.2?

Hi @ehsd,

Yes, it was on that version (3.2.0)

There is another workaround, but I strongly advise that you backup your page as a template first, because this involves editing the page outside of Cornerstone, you might lose the ability to edit the page back in Cornerstone. The suggestion was provided here.

Keep the backup template and restore it once an official fix/update is released.

Thank you for understanding,

That doesn’t seem viable. I’d need to do that sitewide and then the editors wouldn’t be able to update. They need to be able to update during the pandemic and IE users still account for 20-25% of all traffic.

Hi @ehsd,

Thanks for reaching out.

The IE sub-menu issue is already fixed on our unreleased version. And since you have downgraded to older theme version, the [cs_content_seo] will appear since the feature that interprets it doesn’t exist on older version. It happens on pages or posts that you edited with the latest theme version, so the solution would be editing them again with your older version and re-save it. The [cs_content_seo] is generated upon save, re-saving it will remove it again :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

That works. Thanks. Now they can wait for the fix.

You’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.