How to password protect a DEV site

I’ve searched but have not found an answer. We have an “under construction” notice on our home page. We also have a dev installation - and want to use that to develop the site - but as most can guess a dev site address - we want to add an extra layer of protection by password protecting entrance to the dev site. Is there an extension or plugin that will make it so if someone types the address to the dev site - they have to have a password to see the site?

Thanks,
DC

Hi DC,

Yes, you may install the Under Construction plugin that is one of the bundled plugins with X where you can set a password to the site while it is still under construction.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this.
I’ve set a password, and it says “A key icon will appear on bottom right corner of the page.”, however there is no key icon to bypass the Under Construction page. Thoughts? http://dev.divergent-creative.com/

Hi There,

Regretfully this is a known bug, rest assured that our Dev Team is already aware of this and working for a fix, we can not provide an ETA though.

In the meantime, to fix the issue please add this to your child theme’s functions.php file

/*under construction key icon fixed*/
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'load_dashicons_front_end' );
  function load_dashicons_front_end() {
  wp_enqueue_style( 'dashicons' );
}

Remember to remove this when the official fix is released.

Cheers!

This is still not working for me???

Hi There,

Please make sure you copied the entire code and you pasted it on the child theme’s functions.php file. Also make sure that your child theme theme is the one active and not the parent theme.

If you can confirm all of this and the issue still persist, please provide us login credentias (wp-admin and FTP) in a secure note, so we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.