Google PageSpeed Insights on our blog has dropped massively

Hello,

Google PageSpeed Insights on any of our blog posts has dropped massively.

I’m currently seeing a score of 3 on mobile and 34 on desktop which is horrible.

I don’t understand why there are so many scripts being loaded in our blog which is the most basic section of our website.

I have tried plugins like Autoptimize and Async JavaScript but they seem to cause issues with X-Theme.

Any suggestions on how to speed things up on actual blog posts?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Aaron

Hello @aaron_softwarepromot,

Thanks for writing in!

I checked the website and the Google Page Speed test result. Looking at the pagespeed result and the suggestions that suggested, I recommend you to please take a look at our performance optimization guide as it has covered most of the suggestions and upon completing the steps mentioned in our performance optimization guide, you should see a bump up in the Pagespeed test result.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

I’ve been through that article a few times but it did not solve the problem.

We cannot use W3 Total Cache because we are on WPEngine and they have this policy - https://wpengine.com/support/disallowed-plugins/

The CDN didn’t help with the problem either.

The big issue appears to be in the “Eliminate render-blocking resources” - 12.96 seconds seems extreme and that’s only on individual blog pages.

Why would there be so many js and css files being loaded on individual blog post pages?

Hi @aaron_softwarepromot,

With Wordpress platform where themes and plugins are created by different authors, the “render blocking” issue is only fixable by another 3rd party plugin or feature. Example, the Autoptimize plugin could do it too.

Given that they disallow other plugins then I assume they have the same feature that could replace it. For that, I recommend contacting WPEngine to see if it’s possible. And this is a sample reference for that feature https://aoxoa.co/inline-defer-render-blocking-css-autoptimize/. But since it’s not on the list then I assume it’s okay to install it.

All of these aren’t theme related as even the theme has no control on how other 3rd party plugins load their scripts.

Thanks!

Hello,

In the end, I was able to use Autoptimize and async-javascript to solve the PageSpeed Insights issues I was seeing on my website.

I also found that a particular plugin that I was using was unnecessarily loading scripts. In any case, the plugin devs quickly fixed the issue and the problems were resolved.

Just in case anyone else runs into these issues, it might be a plugin incorrectly deploying scripts.

Hi @aaron_softwarepromotions

Glad to hear that. Have a great day! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.