Getting (back) nice-looking lightbox for Woocommerce product page

I found instructions to get a lightbox with WC3.x but quite frankly, the lightbox is very ugly. Problems:

• black background (not transparent)
  • no image ribbon in lightbox
  • general visual appearance is very unattractive.

Is there a way to get back the pre-WC3.x/X-theme 4.x look of the product image lightbox (bot sure if the look was generated by the theme or WC)?

Hey @mrboats,

Regretfully, there is no way to go back to that lighbox style because it has been phased out by WooCommerce. To go back to that look, you would need to revert to the previous version which is not recommended or have a third party developer replicate the old look.

Thank you for understanding.

OK, thnaks! Then I’ll make a feature request/idea for X: provide a stylish lightbox (that does not have the problems of the previous Woocommerce lightbox on mobile) as an alternative for Woo products. The zoom version works nicely for physical products but services etc where the pictures tell a story I think work just so much better as a (well done) lightbox.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll post that as feature request.

1 Like

Actually, after seeing Woocommerce 3.3.x, this became even more urgent, the product image gallery took one more step back in my opinion.

Hey There,

In the new WooCommerce 3.x.x version, it features a new product galley slider, product gallery zoom and the product gallery lightbox. If you want to disable this and use the default WooCommerce product image layouts, you may use this code in your child theme’s functions.php file:

// Remove product gallery slider and gallery zoom
// =============================================================================
add_action( 'after_setup_theme', 'remove_woo_three_support', 11 ); 
function remove_woo_three_support() {
remove_theme_support( 'wc-product-gallery-zoom' );
remove_theme_support( 'wc-product-gallery-slider' );
remove_theme_support( 'wc-product-gallery-lightbox' );
}
// =============================================================================

For more details about these new features, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/resizing-woocommerce-images/1706
https://woocommerce.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/adding-support-for-woocommerce-2-7s-new-gallery-feature-to-your-theme/

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I have tested those configurations. The lightbox is about the only setting that works (reasonably) with 6.0.1 at least (slider is somehow broken, again not sure if this is due to X or WC), but the new ligthbox looks very crummy and has some usability issues (such as missing the ribbon at the bottom of the light box). What is pretty OK with the new lightbox is that it works nicely with swipe on mobiles, in most other aspects it looks like a step back.

So still suggest that a lightbox which would combine the looks of the lightbox on 2.6 (on X) for the desktop and the functionality of the lightbox on mobile from WC3.3/X6.x (with some improvements to look/usability) would be nice add-on from X/Theme.co.

What would be super nice would be to be able to add videos so that some of the “images” could be videos would take the Product image gallery well into the 21st century :slight_smile:

One can always dream.

Thank you for your feedback. I have previously listed your request.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.