Exclude categories from Archive pagination not working after update 6.X

Hello, the archives here: https://standupworld.com/stand-up-world-archive/ no longer work when you click next page 2-3-4 etc. It just refreshes the page.

The layout is excluding one post type:

When I disable the custom layout, the old default archives work. Custom layouts will not work even when I rebuild them from default.

Please advise what may be breaking this?

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out.
The reason behind the problem is the looper and the post pagination elements are not connected. I would like to request you go through the following thread on a similar topic.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hello thanks, I reviewed but I don’t understand the fix and why it broke after the update? What are the steps to fix it as it was working? Please help thanks much

Also noting that even when I erase that template, start fresh the pagination doesn’t work anymore.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for updating in!

Be advised that a Looper Provider is NOT needed in a blog index, category, or any other archive pages because WordPress will be generating the post items on these archive pages. You will only use a Looper Provider and Looper Consumer on a normal page like your static homepage or any other pages or in a sidebar of your single posts.

If you do add a Looper Provider like what you have right now because you thought adding the Looper provider will allow you to exclude other post items under specific categories, the Pagination will no longer work. You can test this out by disabling your Looper Provider in your layout and see that the Pagination will be working again. This has always been the behavior of the Looper Provider and the Pagination since we launched the layout feature.

The proper way of excluding post items under the Outbond News category is by modifying the WordPress query. Please check out these old threads instead which could serve as your guide in your modifications:

Be advised that custom coding is beyond the scope of our support under our Support Policy. If you are unfamiliar with code and resolving potential conflicts, you may select our One service for further assistance.

Best Regards.

But the thing I’m trying to explain is that this was working, and the pagination in place was built from the provided Theme.co templates. I have this same configuration going on many sites I manage and now I’m afraid to upgrade to Pro 6.X on other sites.

Now I’m in a hole trying to dig out of a problem that just happened out of nowhere

The templates do not work out of the box but default Pro works when custom templates are stripped.

Can this be explained as to why?

Hello Michael,

Can you please provide your other site URLs that are still using an older Pro theme version? Your pagination in those sites is working because you may not be using a custom layout created in the Layout Builder. We need to check and investigate it. We would be happy to check the current site with the issue as well. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Here are some others using the exact same base default Theme.co custom templates, very similar in style to this one.

I have more but these have a similar shared style I replaced the default with.

Hello Michael,

The three example websites is using the custom layout for your blog index that does not have a Looper Provider in it. That is why your Pagination works. With the StandUpWorld site, you only want to display post items under the “Home” category. The only way you can filter that is to use manual code in your child theme. You can use the code in the old thread here: Excluding category from blog and create the opposite function that the blog index will only display all post items under the “Home” category.

You can to do this because this is to only solution. Using the Loopers will not help and will only give you another issue which is why we have this thread in the first place.

Thank you for your understanding.

But it WAS working exactly as is before the update, did something change with 6.x?

And if I have to shut the looper provider off to have it work, what is the point of the looper provider feature on archives?

To me it’s like a feature that was there is now broken?

I also want to note this did work as outlined but I don’t get why looper consumer can’t be used over code? The point is low/no code to perform things like this?

Hello Michael,

The negative value -46 excludes the post items under that category. It should be positive 46 so that ONLY post items under category 46 will be returned by the WordPress loop.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.