Ethos Portfolio -(1) back/forward buttons and (2) display order

I am using the Ethos Stack and have some questions about the portfolio settings.

1. There used to be a back/forward button showing on the top right of a portfolio item page, but this has disappeared. I don’t know where it’s gone and I can’t figure out how to get it back. Can you help please?

2. When I view my portfolio page (‘Case Studies’) in Chrome the order in which the items are presented is exactly the reverse of how they are presented when I view the same page in Firefox. This could be a caching issue but it has made me curious - what criteria does the stack use to decide what order to display portfolio items in? Is there a setting somewhere that I have missed?

Thank you, and thanks for the forum - it’s answered all my questions so far and this is the first time I’ve posted one of my own. Hope it’s not a dumb question (or two dumb questions!).

Site: www.smartlegal.ie

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for reaching out.
Please find the pointwise answer to your queries.

1. The back and forward button is related to the number of items shows on a page along with the total number of items. If the total number of items is equal to or lesser than the number of items on the page, the navigation will disappear.

2. I have checked the Case Studies page in Chrome and Firefox, both are showing the same order to me, please find the screenshot below. I would recommend you clear the browser cache for both and check it once again.

Screenshot 1: Chrome

Screenshot 2: Firefox

Thanks

Hi Tristup,

Thanks for your reply.

In relation to Point No. 1, may I clarify my question please?

The main portfolio view page is ‘Case Studies’, and shows 6 items. I have no problem on this page.

When I click into an individual portfolio item is where i have the problem. The single portfolio item used to have a back/forward button on the top right, but this button no longer appears.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by ‘related to the number of items shows on a page along with total number of items’. There is one item shown on the page, and a total of 6 items (which is why I want to show back/forward button).

As I say, it was showing before, but disappeared yesterday. I don’t know what I did to make it disappear!

In relation to Point No. 2, can you clarify what criteria the stack uses to determine the order in which portfolio items are displayed? If I want to change the display order on the main portfolio page (‘Case Studies’) what do I need to do?

Many thanks Tristup.

Gerard

Hello @smartlegal,

For point number 2, There is no option to set an order for the Portfolio item. It would require custom development. I would suggest you consult a developer or you can avail our service called One, where the customization questions are answered.

Alternatively, you can also try a few free plugins from the WordPress repository for the post order.

1. https://wordpress.org/plugins/post-types-order/
  2. https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-post-order/

Please remember that we don’t offer any support or investigation to the 3rd party plugin or related issues.

For point number 1, in order to help you better with your concern please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks for understanding

Requested data shared in secure note. Thanks.

Hello @smartlegal

Thanks for sharing credentials. I tried to access WP-ADMIN but unfortunately, we are not able to access the login page by the WordPress default URL https://your-domain.com/wp-admin/ and https://your-domain.com/wp-login.php. Please re-check and send us these in the secure note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

403-Forbidden

Thanks

Requested data shared in secure note

Hi @smartlegal,

We are still can’t access your login page, please fix this so that we could help you examine your website.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Hmm. I have absolutely no idea why you cannot access my login page. I’m going to go looking for answers on the internet, but if you have any suggestions about how I can fix it please let me know.

Can you give me your IP address in a secure note so that I can whitelist it with my hosting provider?

Hi @smartlegal,

We are from different parts of the World and most of us have a dynamic IP so we can’t provide a specific ID address.

I would like to request you to remove the IP(s) restrictions or you can copy your live site to a staging server without IP restrictions, so we could troubleshoot freely without breaking your site.

Thanks

I understand.

Before we dive down the rabbit-hole of staging servers and all that, can you answer these questions:

1. Can you see on my individual case studies that the back/forward button is not displaying?
  2. If so, have you any suggestions of things I might try myself to fix it?

Thanks.

After much head-scratching and trial and error testing…

It appears that the forward/back button is somehow related to the ‘Portfolio Category’ option.

If I put a Portfolio Item into a category other than ‘Default’, the forward/back button disappears.

Now, why is that so?

Hello @smartlegal,

Please be informed that the next/previous buttons are related to the Portfolio Parent page. If you change the portfolio parent page of a portfolio item, the button will not show up.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.