Essential Grids Not Showing After updating to WP 5.5 and Essential Grid 3.0.6

I saw the prior threads regarding issues with Essential Grids having problems after the WP 5.5 update so I held off on making the update to my sites until WP 5.5 and Essential Grid 3.0.6 was reflected as being compatible on your documentation.

As I saw they are now listed as compatible I’ve gone ahead and applied both updates in a sandbox environment, but similar to what others reported earlier the grids have gone missing from my site.

For example, on the front page prior to applying the updates:

After applying the updates:

I’ve done some experimenting and found that if I create an entirely new section/row/column and insert the grids via shortcode leveraging the Raw element I can get them to show but I’m not able to get them to work in the previously built sections.

If you could investigate I’d greatly appreciate it. I’ll include the URL and login details in a secure note.

I should mention that this behavior is not consistent across all my sites. I’ve tested the same updates on several other sites and the grids appear to be unaffected. For some reason it’s just this (my newest site) that is impacted.

The impacted site has relatively few plugins and is fully up to date:

Hi @MediaDeskNM,

Thanks for reaching out.

After debugging your website, I found out that the Classic Essential Grid element is not working anymore, instead of using the Classic Essential Grid, I use the Classic Raw element and inserted the essential Grid shortcodes and then on Essential Grid Global settings the I set to “ON” on JS To Footer option.

Currently, on your homepage, the Essential Grid is now showing correctly. See the screenshot below.
https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/5334006/478149b5fb250e6932fa304a5bd7b541

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Hi,

That was helpful and got me part way to a solution but unfortunately I immediately ran into a new snag.

In multiple places on the site, including the home page, I have a section for specifically non-mobile users and a copy of that section for only mobile users with the same essential grid in both sections. They all worked prior to the Essential Grid update but now if I insert the same essential grids in Classic Raw elements in the mobile sections it will cause the grids to no longer show on desktop.

I’ve labeled the sections to make them easy to find in the Layout tool:
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 12.45.30 PM

If I create copies of the essential grids so the mobile section has a different shortcode than the desktop section the grids will display in both sections fine. However if I repeat the grid short codes the desktop grids do not show. Unfortunately this isn’t a scalable solution as I have dozens of Pro sites with dozens of grids setup in this way (repeated in mobile specific and desktop specific sections).

In a secure note I’ll include URL’s to three copies of the home page to show you the three scenarios:

1. Front page with the same esssential grids in the mobile and desktop sections (hence the desktop grids don’t show)
  2. Copy of the Front page with the mobile section deleted, showing that the desktop grids will then show.
  3. Copy of the Front page with the mobile section using copies of the desktop grids that have unique shortcodes, showing that in this scenario the grids show on both desktop and mobile.

Hello @MediaDeskNM,

I have tested your pages and I am seeing this:

Did you have made any changes to your settings? Because what I see, the grid is working perfectly on my end both in desktop and smaller screens.

Best Regards.

Hi,

I have not made any changes and just tested the links in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and iOS. The results were the same on all - the issue still exists.

To be clear regarding what the expected results are for each link:

1. Link #1 shows the grid on mobile but not on desktop. On this page both the desktop and mobile grids are present and use the same shortcodes.

2. Link #2 shows the grid on desktop but not on mobile. On this page the mobile section was completely removed to show that without it the desktop grid shows, unlike #1.

3. Link #3 shows the grid on both desktop and mobile. On this page the mobile shortcodes/grids are different than the desktop shortcodes/grids. This is to show that if I manually copy the essential grid and assign a different shortcode the issue is somehow mitigated. Unfortunately this isn’t a scalable solution for the dozens of Pro sites that I have setup in a similar fashion as I would have to copy hundreds or essential grids.

I’ll make a screencast and post a link in a secure note to show the situation.

Hello @MediaDeskNM,

I have created two test pages to display your grids.

See the secure note.

This shows that the grids that are not displaying on your homepage or the other pages are because of the way you have hidden/shown the section/row/column. As you can see, all 12 grids display, so there is no reason why the grid will not display on your homepage. To easily resolve your issue, we highly recommend that you reconstruct the sections by building the sections for desktops first, and then you can add sections for smaller screens later on.

Hope this makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.