Error 504 - gateway timeout

Hey Guys,

I’m not sure if this is something you can help me with but I am getting an ‘ERROR 504 - GATEWAY TIMEOUT’ every time I click on dashboard and on media. I talked to the guys over at bluehost and they told me it can be a number of things from unclosed code to images that are to large and so on… What should I do? Can you guys check something? Is there some literature you can point me to? Can you teach me a step or something that I can then go and do the footwork for? Please help. I feel like this problem has just started since the update.

I’ve noticed that my pages were loading slow. Help!!! :slight_smile: Please teach me. :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

The dashboard and media page has no direct integration with the theme or cornerstone. Most of the resources from the theme and cornerstone are only loaded when called on a page. It could be due to other plugins that are active upon load regardless of page, you could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

You may also check this article https://www.lifewire.com/504-gateway-timeout-error-explained-2622941 especially this area

Fixing 504 Errors on Your Own Site

A lot of times this isn't your fault at all, but it's not the user's either.

Start by checking that your server can properly resolve all the domains that your applications require access to.

Very heavy traffic might result in your server serving a 504 error, even though a 503 would probably be a bit more accurate.

In WordPress specifically, 504: Gateway Timeout messages are sometimes due to corrupted databases. Install WP-DBManager and then try the “Repair DB” feature, followed by “Optimize DB,” and see if that helps.

Also, make sure your HTACCESS file is correct, especially if you have just reinstalled WordPress.

Finally, consider contacting your hosting company. It’s possible that the 504 error that your website is returning is due to an issue on their end that they’ll need to resolve.

Let us know how it goes!

Okay it looks like I’ve worked out the 504 error.

What about the slow loading page? What in general can be done about them?

Hey @steve,

Please check out our performance guide here.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.