Custom CSS disappeared

I went to add some custom CSS to my homepage and upon clicking the CSS icon for that page, I noticed that it was empty. Knowing that I used to have a bunch of custom CSS there, I went and loaded up the same page on my staging site and it was all there. When I saved the home page on my main site and looked at the front end, certain parts of it were bugged out because the CSS that I had was gone. Lucky I had the older copy on my staging site to copy & paste from.

This is a big problem. I can’t have chunks of my custom CSS just disappear on me and then accidentally saved, thus erased. It’s getting to the point where I’m nervous to edit my pages or make updates to the theme. Ever since the last major update I’ve been having several serious bugs…

First, all but a few of my saved templates vanished for no reason

Then my old pages display like junk in CS

Then I’m told I have to recreate my entire site to avoid strange glitches

Now, like my templates, my custom CSS can just vanish for no reason.

Hi There,

Sorry, you’re having those issues. The page CSS not included in the template is also a bug. At the moment our Dev Team is focused on finishing the new Template Manager feature, then after that, they will be dedicated to addressing the bugs in the backlog.

For now you need to copy your page CSS/JS manually.

Thank you for understanding,

I was taking a look at this and I think there’s something going on with your cacheing setup. These are very unusual issues you’re describing and not something we’ve observed as a pattern with many sites.

Can you tell me a bit more about the object cache you’re using? Our Custom CSS is done with post meta which is cached by the object cache. If it’s not configured correctly it could lead to old values being pulled through (including empty values). I could also take a closer look if you send FTP details in a secure note.

Just to be clear, it’s not anything to do with templates. It’s just that I loaded my page to add some custom CSS and I noticed that all the CSS I had in there from before was gone. Accidentally saved it before realizing and then had to go over to my staging site to get another copy of it.

I’m using W3 and Cloudflare. FTP info attached.

Hi there,

Have you updated it through staging and moved it live? I like to try some test but I’m afraid to touch your current setup. Would you mind providing a video recording on how to reproduce the issue? So we could follow it as is without messing another setup.

And please provide your staging login credentials as well, in case I messed with CSS while testing, then I may able to get a copy too.

Thanks!

I’m not currently using the staging site that way yet. I haven’t moved the staging updates to my live site. I’ve mostly just used the staging for debugging with your support team. Some of the pages on the staging site are now out of date, meaning I’ve updated them on the live site instead, therefor I don’t currently want to move anything from staging to live. I’m not able to reproduce the issue, it just happened when it did, that’s it.

Hey @threeoten,

I attempted to replicate the issue in your live site. What I did was I created a test page but I could not select the Content Builder to test adding some CSS. This usually is caused by third party plugin conflict and optimizations.

Regarding the CSS disappearing, @alexander said our Custom CSS is stored in post meta and if you’re using a caching plugin, cached by the object cache. If something happens to that object cache and/or your database (which are outside the control of Pro), there could be a problem. For instance, the Font Manager is also affected by object cache so sometimes you see font duplication when you go to Templates > Fonts. Clearing all caches often solves the issue. Sometimes, just reloading the page works.

What I’m trying to say here or the bottom line is, the issue is not controlled by Pro. Out of the box, without caching and given that no third party factors affects the database, this would not happen.

With that being said, please clear purge all caches and deactivate your caching plugin and monitor if the issue persists.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.