Critical error in WordPress 3.8 when updating X Themes to 9.1.2

All plugins and components have been updated to the latest versions. As soon as I update the theme, the site immediately crashes into a critical error. I tried to download the theme from the site and upload it to the hosting - the result is the same.

tell me what could be wrong, since updating via the cloud and direct download of the theme archive downloaded from your site does not solve my problem.

Hi @stasfalkovich,

Thanks for reaching out!

This is a compatibility issue between the X theme and the Cornerstone plugin. Currently, the X theme installed version is 9.0.8 which is incompatible with your Cornerstone version 6.1.2. To fix your issue, please follow my recommendation below.

• Delete the Cornerstone plugin using FTP or the file manager, just locate this folder wp-content/plugins and look for Cornerstone.
  • Once the Cornerstone is deleted, you can log in to your website
  • Update the theme to the latest version, either by manually updating or automatic update
  • After updating the X theme to the latest version, install again the latest Cornerstone plugin using the link popup in the dashboard

On the other hand, I check your account, and your license is now upgraded to Pro. I highly recommend using the Pro theme to access the advanced features like Header Builder, Page Builder, Footer Builder, Layout Builder, and Grid Editor.

Hope that helps.

Removed the plugin.
Updating theme - critical error - site crashed.
Removing the plugin did not affect the result in any way.

I am afraid to switch to “PRO” because I am worried that the pages that I have created will be displayed incorrectly.
I also do not understand the transition process, do I need to delete the “X” theme and install the PRO theme?
And what to do with the child theme “X” in which I made edits, the “PRO” version also has a child theme?

I got the same error today with different WP version. Here are my details:

• Critical error in WordPress 5.8.1 when updating X Theme to 9.1.2
  • I had X Theme version 9.0.8 installed, with Cornerstone 6.0.8 - they worked without a problem.
  • When I updated to X Theme 9.1.2 my website crashed with the WP critical error

I had to restore from backup to get my site working again.

Please let me know how can I update X Theme to 9.1.2 and Cornerstone to 6.1.2 so that my website will not crash?

Thanks!

Hello @stasfalkovich,

It might be the issue of version compatibility issue. Please make sure you have an updated theme, plugin, WordPress version, and PHP version 7.4 as per our version compatibility page. I would also recommend you, please purge all the site cache and clear the server cache as well.

To upgrade the X theme to the Pro theme please have a look at our documentation to learn more about converting the X theme to the Pro theme.

Yes, there is a Pro child theme available you can download the Pro child theme from here.

Hope it helps
Thanks

Hello @Pollito69,

Thanks for writing to us.

To update the X theme Please have a look at our doc to learn more about how to update the theme.

I would also suggest please purge all the cache so that the latest code renders properly. In case it doesn’t work for you, I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

If none of these work for you I would suggest you please open a new thread and send your details so that we can check it at our end.

Thanks

You write that the problem is in the PHP, but your documentation says that you support versions from 5.6 and newer - https://s.2226.ru/30825_11074236.jpg
Version 7.4+ is recommended but not required.
My version is 7,1,3 and you want to tell me what exactly is the problem?
I still can’t update and it upsets me!

Hello @stasfalkovich,

I am another staff checking on the thread. If you check our documentation and also the WordPress requirement’s page, you have this:

**Note**: If you are in a legacy environment where you only have older PHP or MySQL versions, WordPress also works with PHP 5.6.20+ and MySQL 5.0+, but **these versions have reached official End Of Life** and as such may expose your site to security vulnerabilities.

The WordPress documentation itself clearly states that the recommended PHP version is 7.4. Though this is just documentation, it is best to follow those recommendations to avoid issues.

In some cases, a fatal error during the updates can be caused by a broken PHP code or duplicate function name which were added in your child theme’s functions.php file. If you can give me access to your site, I would love to personally investigate this critical error. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

In the meantime, please enable your debug mode. You can do this by opening wp-config.php file and adding:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true );

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

When you revisit the page, you should have some error output describing the issue in more detail. If you are getting a message that it encounters a critical error and asks you to check your admin email, you can always go and check the debug.log in your wp-content folder.

And by the way, please do check the Tools > Site Health > Status. Make sure that there are no Performance issues because, sometimes, they cause critical issues as well.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I’m ready to provide you with access to the test site, which is deployed in the main folder, so it will be easier for me. The license is not pulled up there, no matter what I do, but you can install the plugin and theme by downloading the archive.

Hi @stasfalkovich,

Like my colleague says that you need to follow the recommended version at least. I would suggest the same to update the PHP version to 7.4 and checking if that resolves your issue.
And after you update the PHP version, please update X version to its latest i.e. 9.1.4 by following the below steps.

1. Delete the existing Cornerstone
  2. Update the X theme to the latest version on automatic updates
  3. After the X theme is updated, use the link in the dashboard to automatically install the Cornerstone. It will be at the latest version

Hope it helps.
Thanks

I installed the PRO theme and everything was updated correctly without changing the PHP version.

I am convinced that the problem is on your side and that the PHP 7,1,3 version is not old enough to break the site when updated.

Hi @stasfalkovich,

The PHP version error is shown by the WordPress not by our theme, if you check by activating any of the default themes you can see that. Please remember that any new version comes for PHP, WordPress, or any Themes that are linked and come with some fixes and features. So there might be something in the newer version of PHP which is recommended for WordPress, I would request you again to update the PHP version and check if that resolves your issue.

NOTE: You can check the version error in Tools > Site Health.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.