Cornerstone won't start on private server

I set up a new Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server VM and set up a multi-site installation of WordPress 4.8 and X Theme 5.1.0. All updates have been installed. It’s a server on my internal network with the private IP address 192.168.1.133. The purpose of which is to learn X Theme and create a new WordPress site. I have activated X Theme with the license from my “staging” IP address.

While X Theme seems to work fine, when I go to add a new page, click on the “Cornerstone” tab to create the page with Cornerstone, and press “Edit with Cornerstone”, it brings me to the white X Theme design page with the Cornerstone logo flipping forever.

FYI - I’m using the X Child theme, but the same thing happens if I use the default X Theme. And I’m starting from scratch, so I don’t have any real customization of my theme.

I’ve seen other posts about this, and I’ve tried the following (and rebooted the server after each significant change):

  • Deleted all plug-ins

  • Tried various settings for Permalinks.

  • Tried Chrome and Firefox.

  • Cleared every aspect of my browser history in both browsers.

  • Some users have compatibility issues with Jetpack, but I do not have it installed.

  • Added the following to the wp-config.php file and restarted the server:

    define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’ );
    define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );

  • One post stated that I should extract the contents of the file cornerstone.zip to the folder wp-content/themes/x/framework/plugins. When I looked in that folder, I saw that the zip file hadn’t been extracted to the cornerstone folder. I extracted it, but this also failed to solve the problem.

  • Confirmed PHP version 7.0.18.

  • Confirmed MySQL version 5.7.18.

  • Confirmed Apache version 2.4.18

  • Deleted the folder wp-content/themes/x/framework/plugins/cornerstone and deleted Cornerstone from my plug-ins. When I went back to the X Dashboard, it said it had successfully installed Cornerstone. I verified that the cornerstone folder had been created along with the files within it. I verified that the Cornerstone plug-in was activated.

  • Confirmed no global CSS or JS.

In addition, I’ve tried the following:

  • Deleted all pages in my website.
  • Deleted all themes except for the default ones installed with WordPress, X Theme, and X Child Theme.

I don’t see anything wrong with my .htaccess file, but I’ll list it here since it’s an item referenced in many posts:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

I installed and activated X Theme on my live site hosted on SiteGround and it’s working just fine there.

I don’t know if it helps you, but the URL it tries to open is in the format https://192.168.1.133/x/#/content/102/ (with a different page number each time).

Unfortunately, giving you the username and password to my local VM won’t help because it can not be accessed from the Internet. However, I have 35 years of software development experience, so I can certainly follow any instructions you give me.

Hi There,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials(by clicking on the Secure Note button at the bottom) so we can take a closer look? To do this, you can make a post with the following info:

– Link login to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password
– FTP credentials

Thanks.

Unfortunately, giving you the username and password to my local VM won’t help because it can not be accessed from the Internet. However, I have 35 years of software development experience, so I can certainly follow any instructions you give me.

Hi there,

First of all, thank you for the detailed information you gave us on your post. That helped us to rule out other possibilities. The other thing which is usually the problem cause is related to the Mod_Security setting of the server. Please kindly check this guide for more information regarding that:

The Mod_Security rules should be excluded from Cornerstone assets.

Also, make sure that you do not use the external CDN services and clouds such as CloudFlare, or any functionality which tries to minify the CSS/JS of Cornerstone, as our theme has already been done that. If you use CloudFlare kindly check this guide:

https://xthemetips.com/using-cloudflare-rocket-loader-with-x-pro-and-x5/928/

And at last, kindly check this guide and make sure you followed all steps:
​https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/popular-questions/204

Thank you.

I tried everything I know how to do with my private server and I still can’t get it to work. So, I set up a new virtual machine on Azure and configured it the same way I set up my private server. This time, I can’t start X because whenever I go to launch X or edit a page with cornerstone, I get a 404 page, as in the following:

Not Found
The requested URL /x/ was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at rlc1.tk Port 443

I’ll send you a private message with all of the credentials you’ll need to connect to the server.

I really want to understand what’s not working here so that I can fix my private server too. Please let me know what changes you make so that I can replicate them to the private server.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Thank you for the information you gave in a provate message. Unfortunately digging into private servers to find our settings to match the Cornerstone setup is out of our support scope.

We can give you suggestions and recommendations regarding the setup. Cornerstone will work with a normal setup which mainly every hosting service providers offer.

On your case, the 404 error is most probably the misconfiguration of the URL rewrites.

Please kindly change the root HTACCESS file of your WordPress installation to this:

https://codex.wordpress.org/htaccess

Also, make sure the server config meets the criteria below:

Then kindly go to your Wordpress Dashboard and set the Settings > Permalinks option to Post Name and save.

These are all common installation settings that mostly any server should have.

Thank you for your understanding.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.